Chapter 53

The next morning when they had to go to The Counsel, Kevin said he would drive, deeming Todrick the passenger seat.

Scott and Mitch ended up in the very back, Scott just staring out the window.

Avi accidently fell asleep on Kirstie's shoulder, but she didn't mind.

She simply smiled at him and put her hand on his leg.

Kevin noticed this, and hoped that meant that she and Avi had worked out whatever they were arguing about.

Todrick watched Kevin drive for a little while before he spoke up. "You're an almost unflawed driver. Do you know that?"

Kevin smiled a little, eyes on the road. "I did not."

"It's amazing."

Kevin turned to smile at him for only a second.

Mitch was in the back of the car, sitting directly beside Scott while he quietly talked his ear off. "I want to be a bridesmaid! Do you think Kit would let me wear a dress? Would you let me wear a dress? I think I have the perfect arms for it."

Scott just nodded. "Anything you want, baby." He mumbled offhandedly.

Mitch smiled. "Really? Can it be pink?'

"Anything you want, baby."

Mitch's smile slowly faded when he realized what was going on. "What's wrong?"

Scott just shook his head, his eyes still focused on something outside the window.

"Did I do something wrong?"

"No." Was all Mitch got in response.

Mitch frowned, scooting over in his seat to lean into Scott.

He put his hand on Scott's thigh, unintentionally sliding his hand along the inside of Scott's leg while he spoke. "Just talk to me. You know I love you."

Scott shook his head, finally turning to look Mitch in the eye. "Just... Got a lot on my mind is all."

"Tell me about it then."

"Can't."

"Why not?"

"Don't want to."

Mitch frowned at him, unbuckling his seatbelt to move over, sitting himself down in Scott's lap.

Scott grabbed Mitch's belt loops and tried to pull him back to his seat, but Mitch clung to his shirt like a cat afraid of water.

Scott shook his head. "Mitch, that's not safe."

"But how else can I get you to talk to me?"

Scott took a deep breath. "Please sit back down in your seat."

Mitch shook his head. "Not until you tell me what's wrong."

"Mitchell, I just gave you an order."

Mitch frowned again, still clinging to Scott's shirt. "But.. Alpha.."

Scott glared at him. "What did I say? Repeat it back to me."

"You asked me to please sit back down."

"And now please explain to me why you're not doing it."

Mitch slid off of his lap and sat back down with a pout. "You're mean."

Scott turned to stare at him. "I'm mean? How so? By giving you an order and expecting you to follow it? Like we were both trained to do?"

"You're all bossy today. I don't like it."