Chapter 40

(A/N)

Here's to Kelsey writing an extra chapter today.

Cheers.

********

When Scott came out of Avi's room, Mitch was waiting for him with tears in his eyes.

Scott closed the door quietly, and then Mitch jumped on him in a huge hug. "I-"

"Don't talk. It's my fault. Not yours." Scott said, holding his Omega.

Mitch pulled away, and Scott leaned forward to kiss his lips, before kissing a tear that was running down Mitch's face. "No more tears, Sweetheart. Everything is okay."

Mitch reached down to grab Scott's hand, but Scott pulled away.

Mitch looked heartbroken though, so Scott let him do as he wanted, although as soon as their hands made contact, Scott cringed.

Mitch tilted his head at Scott, and looked down, eyes widening at the sight of blood on Scott's hand. "Alpha! What happened?! Are you okay?!"

Scott looked down, ashamed of himself. "Yeah. I'm okay."

Mitch frowned, bringing Scott's hand closer to his face to look at. "I can clean it for you, and wrap it and stuff. If you want. Or I can go get Kevin. Your choice."

"Oh, no. You don't have to--"

Mitch rolled his eyes with a smile and started to tug Scott's arm to follow him into the bathroom.

Mitch then rinsed Scott's hand off under the sink water, and then he gently tried to dab Scott's hand dry with a hand towel.

Scott just stood, emotionless.

Mitch reached into a drawer and grabbed some Neosporin, plus some gauze.

Scott watched Mitch wrap his hand, just staring at him.

When Mitch was done, he kissed the gause he'd wrapped around Scott's knuckles. "Better? No more blood. No more boo-boos."

A smile slowly spread across Scott's face at the innocence in Mitch's voice.

Mitch smiled right back. "You're okay now?"

"Yeah. Thank you."

Mitch stood up on his tiptoes to kiss him, and then smiled again when he moved away. "Now, tell me what happened."

Scott looked down at the ground. "Punched a wall... I'm really sorry."

"Why would you... Why would you purposely hurt yourself?" Mitch asked quietly.

"I just got mad, I guess."

Mitch hit his shoulder suddenly. "I told you! I told you that if you held all your anger in you'd need to hit something. Why won't you bring back punishments?"

Scott took a deep breath, putting both hands on each side of Mitch's face. "Honey. For the last time. I'm not going to hit you. I am not going to hurt you."

"But punishing me won't make your hand bleed. It's the same thing, just it won't hurt you." Mitch tried.

Scott shook his head. "No. It would hurt me a lot more than punching a wall would. I know you don't understand that, but it's true. I'd rather break my hand than hit you. Hell, I'd rather lose my hand than hit you."

Mitch nodded, reaching up to set his hands on top of Scott's. "Really?"

"Of course, baby."

Mitch smiled, and then looked down at the ground. "I believe you. I actually believe you."

Scott removed his hands from Mitch's face. "Good. Progress, see?"

Mitch nodded. "Can you promise me something?"

"Anything."

"Promise me you won't punch anymore walls?"

Scott grabbed Mitch's chin to force eye contact. "I promise, Mitch."

"Swear?" Mitch pushed.

"I swear."

"Pinky promise?"

Scott reached forward and locked pinkies with Mitch. "Pinky promise."

Because of course, in Mitch's adorable little mind, pinky promises are the supreme of promises.

*********

Kevin snuck back into Avi's room, handing him a bowl of soup.

Avi shook his head when he sat up to eat his soup. "You don't have to take care of me."

"Who else is going to do it? Scott's got his hands full with the Omegas. He already forgets to take care of himself. Now he doesn't even have time to think about himself, let alone care." Kevin retorted.

Avi immediately noticed how stressed out his Beta sounded. "Hey, I'm sorry. I should be taking care of everyone."

Kevin sat down next to Avi, leaning on one arm that he put on the other side of Avi's legs. "Sorry. I didn't mean to... I'm just stressing out. I can't keep track of everyone. Your job is hard."

Avi raised his eyebrows, silently prompting Kevin to continue.

And continue, he did.

"I mean, I understand it's hard when you can't be around your Alpha for a while. But does Kirstin want to get sick? She's treating me like the bad guy, but I'm just trying to look out for her. And Mitch is emotional, because Scott is stressing himself out and.. Gosh. Scott is just.. Impossible. Like, he refuses to do anything for himself. Does he know that he does that? Like what are you waiting--?" He stopped himself, noticing Avi's amused smirk.

Kevin blinked at him. "What's that expression for?"

"Welcome to my world, Kev. Scott is the worst one you'll come across. Kirstie... Just let her in here every now and then. Just to say hi. Mitchell will be fine, when Scott is fine. Just keep feeding him, that's all. And Scott...Well. He's rough."

"Isn't he supposed to be leading? Why am I doing it? I mean, he's just.. Gosh, I don't know. It's just frustrating! And poor Todrick, he was going to come over but I told him not to because--"

"Aww you canceled your date?" Avi interupted.

Kevin's mouth hung open for a second. "I.. Well, yes."

"Why?"

Kevin looked down to his lap. "Well.. You're sick, Kirstie's an emotional mess, I'm losing my mind, Scott's going around punching things--"

"Stop. Listen to me. The hardest thing to do as a Lead Alpha is to do something for yourself. But Scott is the Lead. You need to see Todrick. I know you depend on him. You need him. Even I can see it."

Kevin smiled a little, keeping his gaze down.

Avi sighed. "Call him."

"What?"

"Call him. Right now. Get him over here. He can spend the night. I'll talk to Travis if I have to."

Kevin hesitated, before standing to go find a phone.

*******