Chapter 29

Kevin watched as both of the couples walked into a new room.

The voice came over the speakers again. "Welcome to the second room. In this room, you'll need to pick one of the two of you to take off your shoes and put them down the garbage shoot to your left. They'll be returned to you in room 3. Good luck."

Avi scoffed. What a stupid question.

He instantly took off his own shoes and put them down the shoot.

He then smiled at Kirstie and grabbed her hand again. "Let's go, then."

Scott began to take off his shoes as well, but stopped for a second. "Why would they want me to...? Oh. Hey, Mitchie? Honey? Can you hand me your shoes?"

Mitch instantly nodded and took them off before handing them over.

Scott walked over and put them down the garbage shoot.

Then he kissed Mitch's forehead and grabbed the backs of his thighs to hold him on his hip.

Mitch clung to him and smiled. "You're smart. I didn't think of that."

"Maybe Kevin's finally starting to rub off of me."

Mitch giggled and began another sentence, but stopped when he heard a crunching sound. "What was that...?"

Scott looked down to see broken pieces of glass under his shoes. "Oh. Just some glass, Sweetie. Don't worry."

Mitch held Scott's shirt a little tighter as he walked over the glass carefully. "Please don't drop me."

"Not a chance, baby."

Avi stared at all the glass on the floor. "Oh. Well there you go."

Kirstie frowned at him. "Now what do we do? You can't walk over all that without shoes on."

Avi looked around, and then noticed that the glass didn't quite reach the walls.

There was barely enough space for him to walk through, without stepping on glass at all.

He pointed to the small strip of carpet and then told Kirstie his plan. "Just walk across it. Be careful. I'll meet you over there."

Kirstie nodded and instantly began to do as told.

Avi tip toed along the side of the wall, not stepping on any glass at all.

When he made it to the space in front of the next door that had no glass, Kirstie hugged him. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah. Didn't step on anything, so that's good."

Kirstie put her hand on the next doorknob. "Two down, four to go."

********

After having the shoes returned, Scott entered the next room, keeping Mitch behind him.

He squinted at the dimly lit room, and his eyes turned red quickly to help him see.

Scott slowly walked forward, Mitch following from where he was clinging to Scott's arm.

Scott stopped walking and turned towards Mitch. "How are you holding up? You doing okay?"

Mitch nodded and smiled. "You'll protect me. I don't have to be afraid."

Scott leaned in for a quick kiss. "That's right. Ready to go?"

Mitch nodded, and then clung to Scott's arm again.

As Scott took another step, he stumbled a little.

Looking down at the ground, he saw that he was standing at the edge of a large hole, dug in the dirt under his feet.

Scott noticed the ground starting to crumble, and he instantly turned to push Mitch back, moments before the ground gave out.

Mitch fell backwards to land on safer ground, seeing now only Scott's fingertips as he dangled from the side of the hole.

Mitch crawled over to him and looked down. "Alpha! Oh my God! What can I do?!"

Scott started pulling himself back up, getting an elbow out to rest on the safe ground. "Back up."

Mitch did as told, and moved away.

Scott then put his other elbow on the dirt, before pulling himself completely up and out of the hole, setting his knees on the ground and then climbing up to stand.

Scott moved away from the missing section in the floor, and hugged Mitch. "I'm sorry I pushed you."

Mitch hugged back. "Don't be silly. You saved me. I can't see that well.. Is the hole spread across the whole floor?"

Scott turned to look with his Alpha eyes, and shook his head. "No. You can walk across a thin thing of normal ground right over there by the wall."

Mitch followed him over to it, but stopped walking right in front of the strip of floor. "But.. Sir. I can't see anything. What if I fall?"

"Do you trust me?"

"With my life."

Scott smiled and turned around, bending down so that he was shorter.

Mitch understood immediately and jumped onto his back, clinging tightly to his neck.

**********

Avi had made the same mistake Scott did, by not seeing the hole in the ground.

But he managed to push Kirstie out of the way, while also saving himself.

He stared at the edge of the hole, where more ground had given way. "What a terrible floor. Whose bright idea was that?"

Kirstie laughed a little. "You always know what to say."

Avi smiled at her, and his eyes turned red again so that he could see.

He pointed at the small strip of stable ground before grabbing Kirstin's hand. "Follow me, Princess."

Kirstie did, and they both managed to get to the next door.

Kirstie sighed. "Half way there."

Avi nodded and kissed her nose. "Look at us. Look how well we're doing."

She smiled, but it faltered. "I hope the others are okay."

"I'm sure they are. Scott is an idiot. But he's one of the best Alphas I've ever come across. I'm sure he's doing just fine."

Kevin was actually shocked that Avi had been able to avoid falling in the hole at all.

Albert tapped the screen with his finger, where Scott and Mitch were. "So why did he fall, but the other Alpha didn't?"

The Beta taking notes looked up. "Perhaps with Avriel's heightened sense of leadership, he knew how to save more than one person. The other Alpha was simply looking out for his Omega."

Kevin couldn't be bothered to say anything, as he was intensely watching the surveillance screens, worried about his friends getting hurt.

Albert grabbed one of Kevin's shoulders. "Tell me something. This blonde Alpha--"

"Scott. His name is Scott."

Albert smiled a little. "Okay. Scott. Why is it that they've only been through three rooms, and he's already carried his Mate twice?"

"That's just how they function. Mitch is Scott's little baby."

*********