Chapter 137

Scott kept Alex's head as close to his chest as possible, but in doing so he slammed his elbow into the ground, as well as any part of Alex's body that he couldn't catch.

Scott continued to hold his head, but sat up a little so he could look at him and estimate the damage. "Shit, I'm sorry. Are you okay?"

Alex smiled a little. "I think so. But I..." He tried to sit up a little, but he cringed and shook his head. "Ow.."

Scott stood up, although his knees were bleeding, and held one hand out for Alex.

Alex gasped at the sight. He pointed at Scott's arm, the one he'd used to save Alex's head.

When Scott looked down, he first noticed that he couldn't move his hand very well.

Scott was confused as to what Alex was staring at, until he saw the blood soaking through his shirt. And when he lifted his shirt a little to see, it was his hip that was bleeding, mainly the skin that covered his hip bone.

Scott shook his head at it, and then reached his other hand out for Alex.

When Alex stood up, he could hear Avi shouting for the both of them.

Scott let Alex put an arm over his shoulders so that he could help Alex walk back towards Avi.

Every step he took, made Alex whimper a little at the pain in his back.

Scott shook his head as they walked back. "God, Alex I'm so sorry."

"It was my fault for hiding. I shouldn't have run off. I'm sorry."

Scott finally shook his head and, regardless of his pain, he lifted Alex off of his feet to carry him back to Avi.

Scott made it over to the car, where the others were all gathered.

Scott was biting his lip so he wouldn't cry out from the pain in his hand.

Todrick almost had a heart attack at Alex's appearance. "What happened to you?!"

Scott set him down in the back of the car, where they'd put the luggage. "It was all my fault. I bumped right into him and took him down to the ground. He hurt his back."

Todrick nodded, pulling Alex's shirt off to see what his back looked like. "But not his neck or his head?"

Alex pointed to Scott. "No. But that's why his hand is broken."

Kevin walked over quickly. "It isn't broken." He carefully held Scott's hand in his own, and touched a few of the bones he was worried about. "You caught him with the palmar aponeurosis so the trauma would've occurred on the opisthenar and--"

Scott held up his other hand. "Once more for those of us who haven't read the dictionary cover to cover."

"I think... You bruised some of the bones. You caught his head with the palm of your hand, thus hitting the concrete with the back of your hand. And the impact bruised the bones."

Avi came over then, giving Scott a once over. "Your knees are bleeding. So is your side."

He lifted Scott's shirt a little, and Scott winced when he gently touched the wound.

Kevin bent a little to get a better look at it. "Oh, that's nothing. Just a scratch. But... A kind of deep scratch."

Kevin walked over to the luggage in the back of the car, but stopped when he looked at a watch in his bag. "Um... Alpha? I think we're going to miss the flight if we keep up like this... Todrick and I can do our medical work in the car, if you drive."

*******

This is how Mitch ended up in the middle seat behind Avi, who was driving.

Mitch had Scott's head cradled in his lap, while Kevin had forced Scott to be half naked while he cleaned up all the blood and new wounds.

Jake watched from the third row back, Alex sitting beside him and facing the back of the car with his shirt off.

Jake held his hand, while Todrick poked around at his back.

Todrick was explaining things quietly so Alex wouldn't be completely in the dark about what was going on. "It's obviously bruised. But I need to know if you did any bone damage. So just tell me if it hurts, okay? And I need you to be honest with me, because this is important. I'm not judging your pain tolerance, but I need to know if you've broken anything. Are we clear?"

"Yes, Sir."

Alex squeezed Jake's hand in anticipation, not being able to see what Todrick was doing.

Todrick gently touched both of his shoulder blades, knowing they weren't bruised, but trying to calm him down a little.

He then moved down to touch all the vertebrae in Alex's back, down to the dimples at the base of his spine.

Alex had jumped a few times, but right before Todrick got to the bottom of his back, Alex flinched away from him completely, squeezing Jake's hand as hard as he could.

Todrick hummed in thought. "That makes sense. If Scott tried to keep your head from the ground, it might have also enforced your lumbar vertebrae to make closer contact with the impact."

Alex turned around a little. "So... Am I broken?"

"No. Believe me, if you broke your back... You would know. You just seem to have some bruises. Give it a few days and you should be alright. Just take it easy."

Kevin was wrapping Scott's hand up with gauze, knowing that Scott wouldn't be careful with it even though it was wounded.

Mitch was running his hands through Scott's hair, although Scott didn't appear to be in pain at all.

Avi kept glancing at them in the rear view mirror, and Kirstie kept her eyes forward in the seat beside him.

Avi finally spoke to the Betas. "Well? How are they?"

Kevin piped up first. "Scott bruised some of the bones in his hand. His knees and hip are just scarred. He needs a little bit of rest and healing time, and he'll be just fine."

Todrick then turned to look at Avi. "Alex bruised a few of his lumbar vertebrae. He'll also be fine after a little bit of rest."

Avi let out a breath of relief. "Oh good. Thank you, Betas. Um. Scott? What exactly happened?"

Scott sat up a little trying to give Kevin somewhere to sit. "He was hiding around the corner of the building. And I was freaking out, so I was going like, full speed ahead. And even though I had to slow down to round that corner, there was still a lot of momentum going at him all at once. So I took him to the ground, but I tried to catch his head so I wouldn't concuss him by accident and... This happened."

Todrick leaned over the seat a little. "Thank you for that, by the way. For trying to catch him. If he'd gotten a head injury..."

"I know."

********