Chapter 31

Avi closed the door behind everyone. "Just... Lay on the floor?"

Kirstin shrugged and dropped down, laying on her back.

Mitch laid down on the other side of the room, Scott beside him.

Avi laid down too, next to Kirstin. "This is weird."

Mitch grabbed Scott's hand and smiled at him.

Suddenly, it seemed like the room started shaking.

Avi sat up and looked to Scott. "Think this is part of the experiment?"

Scott shrugged, but jumped onto his feet when the constant shaking caused the ceiling to crack, threatening to drop pieces of it.

Avi ran to the door, but it was locked.

He turned again, and looked up, seeing chunks of the ceiling beginning to fall.

Scott grabbed Mitch's arm, and pulled him to lay beside Kirstie.

Avi ran over too, prepared to help, but Scott pushed him down too.

Avi followed Scott's example, while Scott put himself in a push up position over Mitch's body, covering him to hide him from any falling ceiling.

Avi did the same, and started commanding Kirstie. "Hands over your head. Now!"

Scott braced himself for things falling on his back, but nothing came.

Avi looked over at him, and the room continued to shake.

Avi noticed a large chunk of the ceiling falling towards Scott, and he warned him.

Scott just tensed his back so it might not hurt as much, but the impact knocked him down to his elbows.

It made a loud thump, and Mitch gasped, eyes wide as he stared at Scott's face. "Are you okay?!"

Scott nodded, and then the room stopped shaking.

Scott looked up at the ceiling to make sure nothing was loose that might fall on them.

When it seemed clear, he stood, putting a hand out for Mitch to help him stand too.

Avi helped Kirstin stand up, and then he walked over to Scott, lifting the back of his shirt a little to see the mark that might have been left behind.

Avi saw a large red mark, but it wasn't bleeding. "It's definitely going to bruise."

Mitch tried to look too, but Scott held him back, shaking his head.

Mitch looked to Avi. "Is it like..Big?"

"No. The red mark is only like.. The size of my hand."

Kirstie walked over then with a gasp. "That's kind of big, Sir. I'm sorry Alpha, that must hurt."

Scott shrugged. "It's alright. Can we just.. Get out of this room?"

Avi nodded and lead the three of them outside, where Kevin immediately ran to Scott and moved his shirt to see the damage.

Kevin gently touched it. "It's not so bad. You'll be alright in a few days."

Albert smiled at all of them. "Alright. Here we go. You guys are doing great. Now this final part, will require skills from each of the rankings. Good luck to you all."

Kevin was the first in the room, eager to be a part of the testing.

Everyone followed him, Mitch clinging to Scott.

One of the Alphas in the surveillance room came over the speakers. "The first test is for the Alphas. There is an obstacle course around the outskirts of the room, as I'm sure you've noticed. We're going to time you. It's not a competition between you both. The timer stops when you both cross the finish line. Clear? Good. Ready?"

Avi walked over to the first obstacle, Scott beside him.

Scott sighed loudly, and Avi put a hand on his shoulder. "Is your back going to be alright if we do this?"

"Yeah. It's fine."

The speakers came on again. "Timers are set. Ready? Set. Go."

The obstacle course appeared to Kevin like a police training course.

Scott and Avi used rope to climb up and over a large, wooden fence.

When Avi hit the ground, he reached a hand up to help Scott, but Scott plopped down next to him mere seconds later.

Avi then ran over to the next section which had both of the Alphas hop through a layout of car tires.

Scott tucked his necklace into his shirt, and then followed Avi's role.

Several more obstacles later, Avi came to the Alpha and Beta he'd seen earlier with their microphones.

The Alpha stood before Avi, while the Beta was in front of Scott.

They were both to do 30 sit-ups within one minute, and then at least 22 push-ups for the next minute.

Scott finished before Avi this time, but they were both quickly disappointed when the Alpha told them that the test was not over.

Scott was then supposed to carry Avi a certain distance, before turning around and having Avi do the same to him.

Avi was definitely strong enough to do it, but Scott's height made it a little bit of a challenge.

When the obstacle course was finally over, Scott tiredly walked over to Mitch and set his head on Mitch's shoulder.

Mitch patted his back. "You did really well! I've always wanted to see you train. Who would've thought it would be in this awful place?"

Avi still stood strong though, just standing beside Kirstin like nothing had happened.

When the voice came back over the speakers, it began to tell Kevin what his 'obstacle course' would be. "We've taken the original Counsel test, and combined it with a few questions of our own. You'll be taken to a room where you can think in peace, while the Omega test is taking place."

The Beta working for the new Counsel, held up a packet of paper and a pencil, before leading Kevin to his room.

Avi waved at him as he left. "Good luck, Kev."

The Alpha worker smiled at the two Omegas. "Are you ready for your part of the test?"

Kirstin nodded excitedly, but Mitch didn't respond, looking to Scott instead with worried eyes.

Scott didn't notice though, as his eyes were closed.

The four of them followed the Alpha into a different room, that seemed to be a very small house.

The Alpha immediately lead them towards a small kitchen, and set a recipe in front of them. "You have exactly 45 minutes. Your time starts now."

Mitch scrambled over, reading the small print, before telling Kirstie what ingredients she'd need to grab from the refrigerator.

Scott frowned when Mitch's shoulder went away.

So he sluggishly walked over, setting his head on Avi's shoulder instead, before grinning and closing his eyes.

Avi sighed and patted Scott's back. "You did well, Rookie. I'm proud of you."

Scott continued to grin. "You're comfy. Has anyone ever told you that?"

"Well one time, when Kirstin and I were--"

"Nevermind! I don't even want to know where that was going."

Avi smirked. "No, you definitely do not."

*********