Chapter 178

(A/N)

First let me just apologize for that cliffhanger I honestly forgot it was there.

And I PROMISE there isn't one at the end of this double.

Promise.

ALSO MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE ^.^

*********

It had started snowing outside, as Kevin found out when Avi walked in furious, with snow in his hair.

Kirstie had found Scott and was sobbing into his chest about something the doctor said, but no one could really understand her.

Scott only understood when Kirstie moved away and shouted. "What kind of test is this, God?!"

Scott didn't know what to do to calm her down so he just let her throw herself into his arms and fall apart.

Mitch's hands flew up to cover his mouth at the heartbreaking sight.

Kevin was staring at her, and he whispered one dreaded word from his lips. "Miscarriage...?"

Avi was sat at the table, with his head in his hands, as Alex nervously rubbed his back for him.

Kevin sat down beside him. "Alpha? Please tell me what's going on..."

"She... The baby is fine. Thank God... But the.. They have tests, y'know? To make sure we'll be decent parents. To make sure we're good role models for the future Alphas and Omegas of our society. And... She and I didn't pass the test. We're..." Avi stopped to take a deep breath. "We're bad parents."

**********

Kirstie went into the bedroom, and asked to be left alone.

Avi just wanted to get his mind off of it, though.

So he went ahead and did all the online Christmas shopping with Scott.

Finally Todrick walked up to the table to ask Scott if he would take Alex shopping for his present for Jake, to which Scott agreed of course.

Scott stood up to make himself presentable, and that's when Todrick explained his whole plan to Avi.

At this same time, Kevin was sitting next to Kirstie, who was sitting on the floor of her bedroom, head in her hands.

Kevin had a hand on her back as he coaxed her into speaking her mind.

Kirstie shook her head. "I thought we would be amazing parents... How could we have failed?"

"What does it mean, exactly? To fail? They're not... They can't take your child away from you, can they?"

"No. But the baby has to go to a blood relative until we pass the test. And... Both of our parents live so far away..."

Kevin frowned, but soon had a great idea. "Wait... Didn't Avi tell you about his sister?"

"Yes. Esther lives with his parents."

"No she doesn't. She was accepted into a pack! And they live like two hours from here!"

Kirstie's entire face lit up, and she grabbed Kevin's hands. "She's a blood relative! Our baby is going to be close to us!"

*********

When Kirstie left the room to give the good news, Avi was out with Mitch, so she had to wait.

Todrick's, mostly unused, car had finally served a purpose when Avi and Mitch had to sneak out of the house after Scott and Alex left.

Scott was still worried about Avi, but he tried to seem like he wasn't drowning in his own head. "So where did you think you wanted to go for this, Xander?"

Alex shrugged, looking out the window. "I'm not sure. Probably a book store of some kind."

"Books? Jake likes books?"

"No, this is for Todrick. I already have Jake's present."

Scott halted at the stop light and turned to Alex. "I thought I was taking you because you needed an Alpha presense. If this is for Todrick, Jake could've taken you. You didn't ask your own Alpha?"

Alex finally realized the situation he'd set up for himself by being a bad liar. "Um. No. I just... I don't feel safe with him yet."

Lie.

Scott blinked at him once, and then began to drive again. "What? You don't trust him to protect you?"

"Of course I do... I just..." You better come up with something quick, Kirk.

Alex stumbled even more. "I... Well.. He-- Um. I've seen you beat up more people."

Scott scoffed. "Um... Alright then.. Are you lying to me? Is this a joke of some sort? I always thought you were too kind to lie."

Alex swallowed harshly. "I am kind. But... I... Oh God, I feel sick."

Scott reached over and grabbed his hand. "Hey, calm down, Xand. I'm just messing with you. I don't care what your reason was. I guess you and I haven't had much time to hang out anyway. So why not?"

Alex took a deep breath and nodded. "Yeah... Okay."

Meanwhile, Mitch wasn't speaking at all to Avi.

Avi made a left turn and then glanced at Mitch. "What did you want to get him?"

"I dunno." Mitch replied offhandedly.

"We don't have a lot of time, if you really want to get home before they do. So I suggest you pick something."

Mitch looked around at the stores they were passing. "I.. Well. I don't know."

Avi sighed loudly, and turned into a parking lot in front of a shopping center. "You have no idea what you want to get for him? The love of your life?"

Mitch frowned and looked at him when Avi turned the car off. "That's a lot of pressure."

Avi shrugged. "Took me about four seconds to find something for Kirstie. And Scott was so excited about what he got you, that he even told me how excited he was. He and I don't talk. You know this. So he must've been pretty excited."

Mitch's shoulders sagged, and he looked down at his lap. "I'm such an awful person. Everyone went out and bought things and I didn't. I'm the worst."

Avi finally took pity on him, and opened his car door. "You're not awful. Come on, I'll help you."

Scott and Alex were in a different situation, however.

Scott was standing in front of a large bookshelf, Alex knelt down in front of him to look at the bottom row.

Scott shook his head slowly. "I'm almost a hundred percent sure Kevin has read all of these."

Alex stood up with a frown. "I bet Todrick has too. How am I supposed to do this? I don't remember every book that he's read."

Scott shrugged. "Get him a Bible or something."

"He has like six of those."

"Who needs six Bibles?"

"People that read in more than one language."

Scott nodded slowly. "Fair enough. Um.. Well.. Get him a textbook or something."

Alex pouted at him. "I know he got me something awesome. He always does. So I feel bad that I can't think of anything."

Scott gave him a smile and rubbed his back. "It's okay, Xand. Anything you get him, you know he will absolutely adore."

Alex nodded, and then his gaze dropped down to Scott's necklace, with Mitch's name on it.

He gasped, and clapped once. "I know exactly what to get him!"

***********