Night # 71 Watching The Clock

This next chilling tale is about a man who finds something at work and gets a strange ominous feeling that something is going to happen.

Winston was at work one afternoon when he found a piece of paper on his desk with a time written on it. He found it very strange that the time was the only thing written on it. He asked his coworkers if they had left it for him and they all said no. He thought about throwing it away but something was just telling him not to. After work, he went home to his wife cooking dinner. He told his wife about the piece of paper and showed it to her. He did not recognize the handwriting and neither did his wife. She told him she was sure it was nothing to worry about and convinced him to throw it away.

The couple ate together and watched some television. Winston's wife asked him if he was ready for bed and he told her he was going to stay up just a little bit longer. She started to say something but she could tell that the paper was still bothering him for some strange reason. She went to bed without him figuring he would see that there was nothing to worry about soon enough. Winston sat on the couch staring at the clock on the wall. Even though he had thrown the piece of paper away he could still remember the exact time it had written on it, 10:10 PM. It was now 9:50 and for some reason, he began to get more nervous with each passing minute. What was it about that time that creeped him out?

It was now 10:08 and Winston's heart was accelerated. Something inside him was very much detecting danger. He watched the clock with complete dread as it switched to 10:10. While his eyes were fixated on the clock the phone began to ring. He started to answer it but as he did it stopped ringing. A few seconds later his wife ran downstairs with a look of horror on her face. Winston started to ask his wife what was wrong with her when there was a knock at the front door.  

Winston walked to the door as his wife stood there frozen. He answered the door but no one was there. His wife found her voice and screamed at him. "Winston, Close the door now." He quickly shut the door and locked it. He had never seen his wife so panicked. She caught her breath and calmed down so she could tell him about the phone call. "I picked up the phone and a man said that he left that paper on your desk. He said he called at the time he had written down and then he hung up. Please, do not answer the phone or the door. Something is wrong with this whole thing." 

Winston and his wife could not even think about sleeping now. They sat at the kitchen table drinking coffee trying to come up with an explanation for what had been happening. The phone ringing and the doorbell chiming made them both jump. Their hearts both sank as they noticed the answering machine pick up. "Winston and Thelma, we are going to play a little game. You witnessed what time I first made contact with you. Now, let's see if you can guess what time I will kill you both."