Night # 78 Delivery

This next chilling tale is about a woman who finds herself receiving something a little extra with her delivery.

Renee was expecting a couple of deliveries. She had recently purchased some furniture and it was going to take more than one trip. She heard the doorbell as she was coming down the stairs. She looked through the peephole and opened the door for the delivery men. They unloaded the two couches along with a table and made their way back to the store for the rest of her furniture. 

She sat down on one of the couches to relax until they came back with the rest of the furniture. She noticed something strange about one of the cushions on the couch. She ran her hand up under the cushion and discovered something there. She pulled it out and noticed it was a card. She read it and tears came to her eyes. It was a card that her recently deceased husband had planned to give to her. She could tell by the writing inside the card. 

She could not understand how it got in the new couch unless it was somehow transferred when they took the old couches out. She went to the bathroom to wash her face and gain back her composure for when the delivery men came back. An hour later she heard the truck outside and opened the door for them. They brought her new bed along with some other furniture for the bedroom. When they went to leave she thanked them and gave them for a tip for their good work.

She went to her bedroom to look at her new furniture and thought it looked very nice. It wasn't that she did not like the old furniture but it held too many memories after her husband was killed. She noticed as she opened up her new vanity drawer that there were a badge and a note inside it. She looked at the badge closely and it scared her. It looked exactly like her husband's police badge which was never recovered after he had been murdered. A lump suddenly developed in her throat as she read the note underneath the badge. "Do you know who we are? We were there the night your husband was murdered. We thought you would enjoy a few souvenirs especially the one he meant to give you the night we murdered him. By the way, we think your home is lovely and we very carefully studied it while we were there today."

When Renee finished reading the note she shivered with fright and began to cry. Not only had these men been the ones to kill her husband and get away with it, but now they were after her. She looked all around her wondering what they had taken notice of while in her home. She could not sleep that night and the next morning was a complete wreck. They obviously had wanted to torture her because she did not see one sign of them the night before. She walked into the kitchen and noticed her front door being knocked on. She looked through the peephole and a delivery man was standing there. She breathed a sigh of relief when she noticed it was not the two from yesterday. She took the big box from him, signed the paper, and shut the front door. She went into the living room and opened the box. She screamed at the top of her lungs when she discovered her husband's wedding ring finger in the box along with a note. "We hope you like this delivery. We will be sending more as the days go by. You can try to find us, but you will not be able to. We will come for you when the time is right for you to be with your husband. Until then we will be sure to keep his memory alive for you." Renee dropped the note crying. Somehow she knew that no matter whose help she sought out it would not end until she was dead just as her husband was. 

The police had always believed that Renee's husband had been murdered because he interrupted a robbery but little did they know that the two men knew him very well. Renee should have known them but that is what happens when you cut yourself off from family for years. She did not even recognize her own nephews.