Night # 97 What a Scare

This next chilling tale is about a campfire story that just might give you the willies.

A group of campers sat around a bonfire as the young man was beginning to tell the story.

Years ago in this very campground, there was a group of young campers who were found murdered in their cabins. The only clue left behind was a single word etched into each of their cabin walls. The word was. Jimmy, the young man telling the story, suddenly sat silent." What was the name? ," one of the campers asked. Jimmy began to speak again after a brief pause. I don't know if I should tell you. Some people believe to this day if you speak the word that bad things will happen to you.

Everyone agreed that they believed it was just a story and there was nothing to worry about. The word was, " Fear". Everyone began to laugh except for Jimmy. He continued to tell the rest of the story. You all may think it is funny but there is more to the story than I have told. The legend started many years before that. In 1972, there was a young man camping with his family here. He was heavily disturbed at the time and his family just thought he needed some outdoor activity to help him. He went off into the woods and several campers were found days later after he and his family had left the campgrounds. All the police found were mangled bodies with the word "Fear" etched into their skin.

The police arrested the young man named Billy and after years of waiting they executed him. Many of the locals knew the story and passed it down to other campers. Over the years there have been at least 20 unexplained deaths. They have never found any DNA or other evidence to tell them who the killer was. In case you are wondering why he chose that word, police say the only clue to the word he chose were drawings he had in a notebook. He had drawn several gruesome pictures with the word fear above them. Every one of them depicted a brutal crime. To this day, if you ask any of the policemen still with the force they will tell you it was quite a disturbing room and that they do not know how his family could not have taken it seriously.

As Jimmy finished the story he noticed everyone had a look of fear on their faces. He waited for a few seconds before he told them that he had just made the story up and that he wanted to see if they would believe it. At first, they were all a little upset with him for playing that kind of joke on them but they began to laugh as they thought about how silly they were being. After all, what is a campfire without a good scary story, especially one that you think is true.

They all agreed that it was time to put the fire out and go back to their cabins to get some sleep. Jimmy was in a cabin by himself. He looked in the mirror as he thought about the story he had just made up. He chuckled as he said the word, "Fear." He could not believe he had all the campers scared with that one. He turned out the light and crawled into bed. He noticed as he pulled the cover over him and began to scream. He felt something slice into his leg and heard the laughter of something in the room with him. As he struggled to get out from under the cover he continued to feel something slashing him. As he took his last breath he heard one word, "Fear."

The other campers were walking back to their cabins talking about the story as they heard the screams of Jimmy. They thought that maybe he was trying to scare them further until they noticed something standing at his window. They slowly walked toward his cabin and as they got closer noticed that whatever it was standing at the window was holding something. Everyone screamed as they realized it was one of Jimmy's legs. They took off running to their vehicles. They tried to start each of their vehicles but they would not start. They ran for one of the cabins, but whatever had been in Jimmy's cabin jumped out at them. The closest escape was the woods. They all ran into the woods where they hid. 

The creature walked around for a few moments looking around. It then turned around and began to walk out of the woods. They began to come out of hiding but as they did the creature turned quicker than anything they had ever seen. With one single thrust of his arm, he slashed through each and every single one of them. The last thing they heard was, "You cannot escape Fear." 

A few days later police were called out to investigate several missing person reports. Once again they came upon a grisly scene. Each and every mangled body only had one clue, the word, fear etched into their cabin walls. 

If you think that this story is solely based around campgrounds, think again. This creature has been known to strike in all kinds of settings. If you do not believe me, start telling the story in your room or on a road trip and wait for the "fear" to take hold of you.