Night #199 Relax and Breathe

This next chilling tale is about a bad experience coming back to haunt someone.

Today I was going to visit my mother in the hospital. I had to take an elevator up to her room because the stairs were closed off. I had a sense of dread recalling what happened the last time I was in an elevator. 

Ten years ago something happened that has stuck with me for all this time. I had to take an elevator because my wife was giving birth to our son on the second floor of the hospital. I got in the elevator alone and pressed the button to go up. At first, the ride was smooth but then the elevator stopped and it was still saying that I was on the first floor. I called for help immediately and they told me they would have me out as soon as they could.

I waited for hours in the elevator and missed my wife giving birth. Now I will tell you why it was so traumatic for me. I never did tell anyone what I had experienced on that elevator but something wasn't right about it. I kept hearing strange noises below me as if there were a creature trapped beneath me. I also detected a strange odor from the same vicinity which I could not identify. I felt like something was trying to make its way through the floor. I never even told my wife about the incident because I did not want to scare her.

I stepped into the elevator and kept telling myself to relax and breathe. I was hoping someone would be with me but I wound up alone once again. I closed my eyes after pushing the button to go to the third floor. I tried to tell myself that the noise I was hearing was just my imagination but I knew that wasn't true. I opened my eyes and felt a little bit of relief as I saw it move to the second floor. That was when the relief quickly faded. I heard something even scarier than I did that day tens years ago.

Not only could I hear what was below me but I heard what sounded exactly like my mother above me. I started to breathe heavier as the elevator stopped before reaching the third floor. The words coming from my mother were cold. "He is coming for you son and you cannot escape him." I pushed the emergency button and told them that I was trapped in the elevator. Ten minutes later they had the elevator operating again and I was able to escape.

I went to my mother's room once again without telling anyone what had happened. I got to her bed and hugged her as tight as I could. I had never been so relieved to see my mother in my life. "He is coming for you son and you cannot escape him", she whispered to me as I hugged her. I quickly retreated from the embrace and asked her to repeat herself. I was just telling you how much I loved you. 

I knew my mother was sick and that I did not want to burden her with what had been happening so I tried my best to relax. I told her I loved her too. I went home that night to my wife waiting for me. I tried to tell her what had been happening but I just could not do it. I tried my best to go to sleep that night but it was not easy. After a couple of hours of lying awake, I finally drifted off to sleep. 

"He is coming for you son and you cannot escape him."  I opened my eyes instantly as I heard those words. I thought my mother had spoken them but when I heard its breathing I knew it was not her. "She was right you know. I have wanted to meet you ever since I smelled your fear from underneath the elevator." My wife awoke to my screams as the creature tore me open and I lay there helpless as it smelled her fear and began to do the same to her.

The creature left our bodies in pieces as he went back to his home beneath the elevator. There he patiently waited for his next victim.