Night #89 Overnight Storm

This next chilling tale is about a young woman named Serena who has to drive through an overnight storm and finds herself getting lost.

Serena was on her way home from a business trip when she came upon road construction. She thinks that she might just have to dodge a few cones or barrels but finds out that they have shut a portion of the interstate off and she will have to take a detour. She gets off on the exit marked detour. She turns to the right and tries to figure out how to get home taking the back way when she notices a tall strange man standing by the road. He stares into the car as she drives by and it gives her the creeps. When she gets past him she looks for a sign telling her the next city or town coming up. After driving a few miles she finally sees a sign for a place called Broken City which it says is ten miles up ahead. She breathes a sigh of relief knowing she will have to find a place to get gas soon.

She notices as she continues driving that there is lightning in the distance and she can hear thunder. She shudders as she thinks about trying to find her way home in the storm. She notices after driving ten miles that there is a sign advertising Broken City and it is just that. She looks desperately for a gas station or anything but there is nothing except for a few abandoned buildings. She begins to worry as it starts to rain heavily and her gas light comes on. She knows she can make it another forty miles or so but does not know how long it will take to come to the next city.

She drives through the pouring rain as she notices a sign for the next city but she begins to panic as she sees how far it is. The next city is sixty miles away. She knows she will not make it that far. She pulls off to the side of the road attempting to call a tow truck to come and get her but she cannot get a signal. The only other thing she can think to do is call for emergency help. She gets off of the phone and tries her best to stay calm because they tell her it will be at least thirty minutes before they can get there. 

She makes sure all of her doors are locked as she witnesses the intense lightning that is filling the sky. She glances in her rearview mirror and panic begins to set in once again. The tall strange man is walking up to her car. She cannot fathom how he made it that far in such a short amount of time. She shuts her eyes and begins to pray as he gets closer to the car. She opens her eyes slowly and he steps up to her door. For a few brief moments he just stares at her but then he holds a crowbar up. She screams as he knocks the window out and begins to drag her out of the car. 

Serena nearly falls out of bed and awakens from the terrible nightmare. After she calms down she realizes it was only a nightmare. She gets dressed and heads for the door to go to work when she discovers something by the front door. There beside the door is a crowbar. Her heart begins to race as she sees wet footprints in front of her door and suddenly she figures out the nightmare has become a reality. He steps out of the shadows and sure enough, it is the same tall strange man from her nightmare.