Night # 181 The Call

This next chilling tale is about a call that turns everything ominous. 

I was standing outside taking a break when I heard my friend's cell phone start to ring. Thinking it was his girlfriend I stepped to the side to give him some privacy. The next thing I heard was my friend asking," what kind of a sick joke was that?" 

I did not understand so I asked him what was going on. He told me that a voice recording told him that he would not make it home today. I could not believe my ears. Who would think that was a joke? I told him that it would be okay and that it was probably a person with a sick sense of humor.

We started to go back inside after break when my phone began to ring. I answered it thinking it was my wife. "You will not make it home today." I knew my wife would not play that kind of a joke on me and wondered how her number was showing up on my call log. The rest of our shift my friend and I were worried about what was going to happen to us.

By the end of the workday, we were hearing several co-workers talking about getting the same sick phone call. Everyone was nervous because the phone calls were made from the numbers of their loved ones. We all went to walk outside and noticed that it turned very dark. It was only 3 in the afternoon and there were no thunderstorms around.

We all hesitantly got in our vehicles to go home when the message on the radio stopped us dead in our tracks. "We are warning all listeners. There is a voice recording going nationwide that warns people they will not make it home. Officials are trying to find the source of the recordings but they are unable to locate those that the cell phones belong to. Until further notice, we are warning listeners not to answer their cell phones. We are working nonstop to try and resolve this matter. We ask for your patience and cooperation. Thank you all and stay tuned for further updates." 

I panicked as I thought about my wife being one of those people that they could not locate. I rushed home to find her. When I turned onto the expressway an update was being given. "We have received some information on the cell phones. Apparently, the numbers that the recordings were sent through received recordings themselves. The message "you will never see your family again," was left for each of the missing persons. We will alert you of any new information and still warn our listeners not to answer their phones. "

I could not believe what was happening. This morning I had been laughing with my wife before I kissed her to leave for work and now her among others were missing. The radio went to static for just a few seconds and then a voice began to come through. "You will never see your wife again if you do not answer the phone." I wondered what the voice meant and soon my phone began to ring.

I tried not to answer it but I knew I had to know where my wife was. "Good boy, now you will get to see your wife." As soon as the phone call ended I felt myself getting very drowsy. I woke up seeing my wife's face. I was next to her in our bed. Had it all been a nightmare? I did not care. I just knew it was relieving to see my wife's face. 

I looked at my wife's face and smiled at her but I noticed that she was not smiling back. I asked her what was wrong. "You made the same mistake I did honey and now we are going to have to pay for it." I asked her what she meant and for a few moments, she just stared at me as if she were trying to think of how to tell me something. 

" Yesterday, while you were at work I answered the phone with a voice telling me I would never see my family again. After calling the police I received a text message saying if I did not answer the phone I would never see my family again. The next thing I know I am getting drowsy and I wake up here. " I told her we were at home but as soon as I did a voice came out of the distance.

"You are not home. You are where I want you to be." I took a good look at my surroundings as they changed before my very eyes and noticed all the people there with us. We could not hear them but we could see them. What is this place?, I asked. "This is my world and from now on you will do exactly as I say." I looked at my wife knowing that I never should have answered that call.