The shady professor.

~(episode 8: The girl in the fridge)~

I was sitting on the same side Temperance was working in the Bone room as Angie was on the other side, since Temperance was examining a skull.
"So I spent the night at Todd's. You remember Todd, right? The bass player with the big hands. Big nimble hands." Angie told
"Angela, I'm trying to piece together a skull." Temperance told
"You're doing a great job. So I wake up this morning and he's sitting there, right? No clothes on, just his bass. Singing to me in this low, low voice. He's creepy."
"This is why I have a certain type I go for."
"Oh but you two would get along."
"You said he's creepy Angie."
"Well yeah. But you also have the thing with Zack."
"Can I just go one whole week of people not either wanting us together, thinking we are together or the fuck Seeley does but saying I'm his girlfriend or that he is my boyfriend."
"You've got to admit though Sweetie. You like him."
"Angela, is this conversation really appropriate here?" Temperance asked since she knew there was a medium chance she would drop this whole chat.
"Sorry, but I'm into alive people. Anyway, Todd has a friend."
"I thought you said he was creepy." She asked
"Todd, not the friend." She told before Zack rushed in and stood next to me.
"Good news." He told
"I hope this is work-related."
'Same Doc.'
"The Anthropology Journal is publishing our piece on the evolution of the coronal suture."
"Worthy interruption." She told before setting the skull down as Zack holds out his fist.
I gave a smile when I noticed she looked confused at the interaction.
"You're supposed to bump my fist with yours." He told
"Why?"
"I'm told it's a widely acknowledged gesture of mutual success." He explained till he decided to put down his fist making Angie amused.
"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."
I gave Zack a tap making him look towards me before I raised my fist for him. He gave a smile and bumped his fist with mine making me smile more at it.
'I feel like he's going to do it more with me now. Should be amusing since it's usually what me and Jack do.'
As if on some que Jack walked in carrying a box.
"This should be good." I said making him explain what was going on.
"Okay, now this is weird. There's some guy in the lounge who asked me to give you this." He told before he handed the box across the table to Temperance.
"Is he alive? Because this is an excellent start to a relationship." Angie asked
"This seems like something a stalker would give.... unless it's like a weird stalker and they give you a vintage snow globe of sorts." I told as Angie gave a nod
"I didn't put a mirror underneath his nose or anything. He said you'd know who he was when you opened it." Jack told making her open the box.
When she opened it she pulled out a skull mug. She paused for a bit as she looked at the gift before putting it back in the box and then shoving it to Zack and then quickly ran out of the room.
"Okay, a guy who gets her to stop working? This I have to see." Angie told as she follows after Temperance making the three of us follow her. I quickly realised she was talking to a guy on the catwalk before they both rushed to meet the other halfway.
"Ash, profile." Jack told
"I'm not doing that."
"Come on. I've never seen you profile something. Profile."
"Fine."
I looked at their body movements and read what I could about how they interacted.
"Ok so they both hold the other in high regards of sorts. Kinda like how Zack holds my skills in high regards, as an example. From that it's most likely that Temperance was his student at one point and that's how they met."
"Anything else?" Jack asked
"Past romantic relationship of some sorts. They've definitely had sex. You can tell that things were ended on good terms with how close they are standing towards the other as well as how they are smiling and it's reaching their eyes. Probably will start up again with them having dinner tonight. Just a guess though."
"Now we gotta see how much you got correct." He told making me and Zack nod.
"This is like watching cars mate." He told as we watched them.
"It's gotta be Michael. Stires, her forensic anthropology professor from Northwestern. They were...." Angie began before Jack cut her off.
"Very, very close?"
"Mm."
"See, I'm that good." I told making Jack and Angie smile at me.
"Dr. Brennan is my forensic anthropology professor. Does that mean...." Zack began to ask only for us to quickly stop his train of thought.
"No." We all told
"I feel like your relationship is more like a mother and son type of one. Just from how I feel I could be totally wrong."
"Hey Bones! Whoa!" Seeley exclaimed as he walked in behind a rusted refrigerator that's being hauled in by a technician from the FBI. "Okay. Put it here. Easy."
We walked over since we knew we were now working a murder case.
"Bones, I got a present for ya. Straight out of an illegal ravine on a dump in Fairfax." He told as her and the most likely is Michael walk over. "You see, our forensic people confirmed it was human matter. So, rather than open it myself and risk being trashed by you for contaminating the evidence, I decided to bring the whole refrigerator to you."
"Wonder if they are like a smoothie now."
"What we need is a toaster oven." Jack told
"Bones?" He questioned as she walked over to the fridge and began to sniff around it.
"The body's going to be mostly decomposed." She told
"Which is my cue to leave." Angie told before leaving.
"This is where it gets fun." Michael told as Temperance stood back.
"All right, you can open it." She told
"All right." Seeley told before he opened the fridge door with a crow bar.
Inside of it we could see the partially liquified remains of a decomposing skeleton. Seeley stood back as Temperance moves closer to examine it.
"Whoo, okay. Uh, he or she?" He asked
"She." She told before Michael spoke.
"Late teens, early 20s."
"I'm guessing she's been in the refrigerator for a year." She told before looking at me and Jack. "Is there enough insect activity to help us be more precise?"
"There's always enough insect activity." Jack told
"Who do you think your talking to Doc?" I asked making us bump elbows.
"Remove and clean the bones, Zack. Michael, you can pick me up at 7:30. I'll give you my address." She told as she stands up and walks away.
"Beautiful lab." He told as he followed her.
"Thanks."
'I don't trust him.'
I looked towards Seeley to see he was watching them.
"Old friend?"
"Old teacher."
"I don't trust him. He's giving bad vibes."
"Yeah." Seeley told before sighing and I could see he looked a bit grossed out. "They're actually going to, uh, eat dinner after seeing this? Well, I hope it's not soup."
"I could eat."
"If she was his student and I'm her student, then it follows...." Zack began before Jack cut him off again.
"Ain't gonna happen, Zack-o, not in this universe." He told before shutting the door to the refrigerator.
Before we could anything, my phone began to ring making me grab it to see it was Denis. I quickly picked it up and placed it to my ear hoping they wouldn't be able to hear him.
"What's up?"
"Ashley, what are you doing right now?"
"Uh well I'm working. A body just came in."
"Well we need you right now."
"What why?!"
"Marcus wants to go over plans for the build boards and what not. Kinda like a the family in their respective roles."
"I can't do that. We've just got a case."
"It will be an hour maybe two tops. But I already towards your building so you gotta tell your boss or what not that you'll be out for a bit."
"Fine. Just stay out there and I'll join you soon."
"Will do." He told before hanging up.
'For god sake I hate this.'
"Everything ok?" Zack asked
"I gotta go do something for like an hour or two."
"We've just got a case." Seeley told
"No shit Sherlock. I've gotta do this though or else my work associate outside of this job is gonna come in and drag me out, which I don't want happening."
"This to do with what you do outside of this job and won't tell us?" Jack asked
"Yes. I gotta tell Temperance quickly before Goodman. Update me and Zack you better not stop texting me out of no where I'll be upset." I told before rushing off to do what I needed to.
'Why did it have to be good pay?'