Natasha Romanoff

A/N : Avengers Endgame spoilers

"I didn't think you'd that return. With all the painful memories this place holds for you ... but deep down you knew the consequences. A soul for a soul" The keeper reminded you of what happened that dreaded night.

"A soul for a soul. It works both ways, right ?" You held the soul stone tightly in the palm of your hand.

"Theoretically, yes but no one has ever returned the stone before" The keeper agrees that the deal could be reversible.

"I guess I'm going to be the first. I'm here to return this" You opened your palm, revealing the soul stone.

"I'm going to assume that your here to see Natasha" He nods in realisation.

You wordlessly place the stone into his outstretched hand.

"Unfortunately ... I can't bring people back from the dead. However, I can give you something else instead" The keeper took the stone and you found yourself inside a vision.

Natasha was sitting on a log and the keeper stood behind you, encouraging you to go over to her.

"Nat ?" You called out to her and the assassin smiled when she heard your voice.

"Hey Y/N" Natasha looks over at you.

You walked over to her and sat down on the log beside her.

"Did you get everyone back ?" Natasha whispered in your ear.

"We did. Thanks to your sacrifice" You glanced down at the ground.

"It wasn't your fault, you know ?" Nat assured you.

"What ?" You shook your head, unaware of what she was talking about.

"It's not your fault that I died. I literally hooked you to the cliff with a grappling hook" Natasha tried to convince you that her death wasn't your fault.

"I still think that I should have been the one who died, Nat. You have a family who are waiting for you to come home. What do you want me to tell them ?" You finally looked up at her.

"Tell them that I died saving the world" Natasha hands you a picture of her and her family.

"How do you think they'll react ?" You took the picture from her hands.

"Yelena will be mad at first but in the end she'll except it. And I honestly don't know how Melina and Alexei will react" Natasha pointed them out as she spoke about them.

After everything you've been through together, you'd both been rendered silent for the first time.

"I bet Stark and Rogers are still revelling in the teams victory" Natasha broke the silence between the two of.

"Honestly ... I wish that they were" You let out a shaky breathe.

"What do you mean 'I wish they were' ?" That's when you realized Natasha had no idea what happened to Steve and Tony.

"Steve used Scott's time machine to go back in time and live out his life with Peggy. And Stark ..." Your voice broke as you remembered Tony's death.

"Stark what ?" Nat urged you to finish your sentence.

"Is there a way for me to show you ?" You enquired, fearing that you wouldn't be able to describe Stark's death.

"All you have to do is think about it. And then Skull will show me for you" Nat  gestured over to the soul stones keeper,  who nodded.

Flashback ...

"I am - inevitable" Thanos snaps his fingers but nothing happens, except a metallic clink.

Thanos sees that the infinity stones are missing from his gauntlet.

Tony has all of the infinity stones in his own gauntlet, the gamma radiation coursing through him, to Thanos' shock.

"And I - am - Iron Man" Tony snaps his fingers with a loud clang and there's a blinding flash of white.

You and Steve look on in exhaustion, knowing that you have won.

The power of the gauntlet raw has left Tony's entire right side fatally injured.

Tony's stumbles for a bit before his body collapses besides a pile of debris.

"You can rest now, Stark. We won" You mumbled to yourself and Steve's eyes filled with tears when he realized what had happened.

Present day ...

Natasha gasped with a hand over her mouth in shock.

"Stark's gone. He sacrificed his life to bring everyone else back" A few tears fell down your cheek.

"Is everyone else okay ?" Natasha spoke, her voice raspy from mourning Tony's loss.

"We will be but we need time to heal. That's why I needed to see you again. To give me just a little bit of closure" You wiped the tears from your eyes.

"You guys need to look out for each other and protect each other ... Make sure that everyone's okay for me" Nat started to fade away.

"I promise Nat" You smiled at her sadly as you were pulled out of the vision.