Lauren Bloom

"Took you long enough" You tease her in a playful manner

"I was on the top floor. This hospital has way too many stairs" She inhales deeply.

"Fair enough. We've got two victims of an RTC. The police are suspecting that a drunken lorry driver caused the whole accident" You explained to her.

"Okay, I'll take the first patient, you take the second. And I want a fully filled out incident report on my desk by the end of shift" Lauren kept her gaze trained on the entrance.

"Yes mame" You mockingly salute her.

"Get some work done, dork" She smiled at you as she took her patient.

"What are we dealing with here ?" You rushed over to your patient.

"Mrs Bloom appears to have whiplash from force of impact. She has a possible concussion and possibly even some spinal injuries. We couldn't do much  investigation on scene because of how long it took the fire department to get her out" The paramedic explains to you.

That's when you catch a glimpse of her face and realize that your patient was infact Jeanie Bloom, Lauren's mother.

"Let's get her to trauma 1. Get me a head CT and an MRI, I want to make sure that there isn't any damage to the spine or the brain" You command your doctors who quickly got to work.

"I'll get those scans Dr Y/L/N" The nurse rushes out the room, booking the scans for your patient.

"Someone page Dr Bloom" You told your staff.

Lauren comes rushing in moments after the page was sent.

"You paged me Dr Y/L/N" She holds her pager up in the air. 

"It's your mom, Lauren. She's one of the RTC victims" You informed her.

"What ? Let me see her" She tries to get into the room but you blocked her with your body.

"I can't let you in and you know that. I just thought that you atleast deserved to know" You smiled at her sadly.

"My mother is the one laid in that bed. I want to help, I have to help" She reasons with you.

"Lauren, I know that this must suck but it's protocol. I can't let you in here" You were interrupted by a nurse calling out to you.

"BP's dropping" The nurse informs you.

"Save my mum" Lauren assures that it's okay for you to leave her.

You head over to Jeanie, searching for any evident or possible injuries.

You could feel something near Jeanie's  lungs, a tension pneumothorax.

"I need a large-bore needle, we need to decompress the wound" You held your hand out for the needle.

A doctor handed it to you and you insert the needle into the 2nd intercostal space in the midclavicular line.

You released a breathe you didn't know you were holding, when you heard the pressure begin to release.

"BP's rising, heart rates stable" One of your doctors informed you.

"I want you to keep a close eye on Mrs Bloom, I want to be notified me if there are any changes in her condition" You take off your gloves, leaving the room.

1 hour later ...

You quickly came out of trauma one and you were in a fairly cheerful mood.

"Hey" You greeted Lauren, the worry on her face was extremely evident.

"Hey, how's my mum ?" She questioned and you lean back against your desk.

"She's stable and we're moving her out of trauma 1. We've got a patient whose  recently had a heart transplant coming in, Dr Reynolds thinks that their body's rejecting the new heart" You explained to her.

"Right, I'll leave Reynolds to get on with his job and I'll keep running my ED" She hand you a clipboard.

"What's this ?" You examined the small piece of paper.

"That is an incident report, the one that you were supposed to have on my desk an hour ago" Lauren hands you a pen.

"Right it totally slipped my mind. Maybe because I'm the chief of general surgery at this hospital and have been scrubbing in on surgery's all day" You put the pen down on the counter.

"Well, I have an ED to run. Ask Sharpe to fill the report in, she's on the case too if I'm not mistaken" She shrugs, walking off down the hallway.

"You are gonna be the fucking death of me, Bloom" You groaned as you started making your way to Helen's office.

4 and a half hours later ...

"I just came to check in. See if you were feeling ready to be discharged soon" You entered Jeanie's room.

"Ah, could you do me a favour and take these wires off of me" She was tugging on the wires that were attached go her body.

"I can't do that but I can make sure that your at the top of the discharge list" You offer as she vigorously shakes her head.

"My backs been killing me since you did that surgery on me. Could I stay here for a few more days ? To make sure that I'm fully recovered" Jeanie suggests.

"I would allow you to stay for a few days if we didn't have such a hectic hospital to run. Well, that and we didn't do any surgery on your back" You sat down on the edge of her bed.

"Didn't you ? Then something else must be wrong with me" Jeanie shrugs as you checked over the test results.

"The MRI came back clear and so did the head CT, we have no reason to keep you in this hospital" You point out to her.

"Please, let me stay. I just need a bed and food until ..." Jeanie trails off afraid that you would judge her.

"Until what ? I really need to know what is going on so that I can help you" You offered her your help.

"I got kicked out. The building manager told me that he didn't want a recovering alcoholic in his building. He claims that it gives people the wrong image" Jeanie scoffs at her own words.

"Okay, then. I'll set you up in a hotel but I'm only paying for a month, which will hopefully be long enough for you to get a job and rent a new place" You assured her.

She stood up, wrapping her arm around you gratefully.

"Thank you" She whispers in your ear.

"Don't worry too much about paying me back. You need to focus on getting set up first" You pulled away from the hug.

Jeanie smiled at you as you walked out of her room.

"How do you know my mum ?" Lauren asked you and you shrugged.

"I have no idea what your talking about. I don't know your mother" You crossed your arms over your chest.

"You were hugging" She looks at you, a confused expression on her face.

"That's for me to know and for you, Dr Lauren Bloom, to find out" You smirked as you start to walk away from her.

"Get back here" Lauren rushed after you as you got into the lift.

"Do you hear something ?" You turned to Max who nodded his head.

"Yeah, an extremly pissed off Dr Bloom" He chuckled as you smiled at him.

She inhaled deeply as the elevator doors closed and she watches it go to the third floor.

"I'm gonna kick your ass Y/L/N" Lauren muttered under her breathe.