🎶Gianluca Petecof - Happiest Year

Gianluca sat on his sofa feeling empty. This year couldn't possibly get any worse. Not only did he lose his prema seat, but he also lost his girlfriend Y/n. He'd been with her for a total of two years but broke up with her so he could focus completely on keeping his seat and that didn't work, so now he was all on his lonesome. They had been very good friends for a number of years. He fought hard for her all his life, he'd beaten everyone else to win her over. He didn't just lose his girlfriend, she was his bests friend. Alex looked out the window as the snow slowly fell to the ground. She loved the snow. It was her absolute favourite thing in the world. He jumped a bit when he saw his phone light up with a notification pop up. Who would be texting him at this hour of night? He picked up the device and felt his heart skip a beat as he read the name.He opened his phone quickly as he could and read the message in full.

Hey Gianluca
I don't know if you still have my number saved but it's me. Y/n. I'm so sorry to hear about your seat. If you ever need to talk, I'm only one call away. I'm sure you'll get another chance xxx

He smiled softly at the message. His thumb hovered over the call button, his mind in a battle on whether or not to call her to talk. He so desperately wanted to call her but what was he meant to say? He dumped her to focus on his career and here he was without a seat. Before he could make a decision on whether or not to call her, he saw her name pop up again as she had decided to call him instead. He hesitantly answered and placed the
phone to his ear. "Hello?" He said. "Hey." He smiled softly to himself hearing her voice again. "So. How are things going?" she asked him. Gianluca sat up properly. "Pretty bad to be honest. I don't have a seat for next year." Y/n's heart was aching for him. That poor man worked so hard and won the championship only to be overlooked in the end. "Gianluca? I am going to make a bold promise right now but I'm going to anyway." He awaited her supposed 'bold promise' to come along. "I'm going to do everything I possibly can to help you get a seat in formula racing." He froze at her promise. That was bold. "Why?" he asked. "Well, it means a lot to you so-"

"No, no. Not that. Why are you helping me? I left you." he said, his voice breaking. "Well, we're in this mess of a life together. And as I said before, it means a lot to you." Why did he ever leave her? She's a complete angel. "I think it's a bit too late to look for seats. Every single team are in talks with drivers already." Gianluca explained. "But we could at least try. I'm sure Campos will need a formula 3 driver." Gianluca nodded at the proposal. Go to teams instead. "We could try that yes. I never thought I'd be going and asking teams to take me." he laughed. "I missed that." He heard her say. "You missed what?" he knotted his eyebrows in confusion. "That laugh." she replied. A silence grew amongst the pair over the phone, neither one braver to talk first. Unintentionally, the two of them counted down from three to when they would speak at the same time.
"So-"
"So-"
"Oh sorry. You first."
"No I insist." Gianluca thought carefully about what he wanted to say. "I'm sorry." was all he could muster. This made Y/n awfully confused. "What do you mean?"

"Well, for everything. There's nothing I'm not sorry for." Another silence filled the space between the phones. "Gianluca Petecof, there's no need for you to be sorry. You did what you had to do. You won the championship. There was nothing more you ould have done to keep your seat. You did absolutely everything and I'm so, so proud of you for that. You don't need to apologise. That's life and it happens." How could she be so perfect? She forgave him as if nothing had happened and truth be told, she didn't think anything happened. She didn't feel immensely sad like you usually would when a relationship ends. He promised that they would get back together and she knew he would never break a promise. "Y/n?" she hummed in response. "Do you think we'll ever get back together?" he asked. "Of course. You never break your promises." She was right yet again. He never broke his promises and that wasn't any different from now.

Gianluca stood on the podium in his Campos gear. Y/n sat down Parc Fermé watching as he grinned. He was looking so happy, so content and hee was feeling it too. Ever since he secured his contract with Campos, he'd been the happiest man alive and one of the main people he had to thank for it was Y/n, his best friend, his girlfriend. All because of her, he was still able to do the thing he loved. She pushed him to ask Campos and when he was offered the formula two seat, he didn't even think twice before accepting it and not once, did they regret their decision. Gianluca looked down among the crowd and spotted his girlfriend smiling up at him. He couldn't quite see her smile through the maks but he could tell by the wrinkles at her eyes that she was. He stood at the podium and took the moment in. This was peak happiness. Nothing could possibly beat this. This, in his eyes would probably be the Happiest Year of his life so far.

A/N: congratulations Gianluca! You deserve it!