🎶Marcus Armstrong - Happier Part 1

Lately, I've been, I've been thinking
I want you to be happier, I want you to be happier

Marshmello and Bastille

Marcus lay on his bed, listening to the sound of the rain pounding against the window. Another night, another fight on the phone with Y/n. They'd been dating since secondary school and everything seemed to be going well until the 2021 season of Formula 2. He had been...unlucky to say the least. Nothing was working out and he was scraping the barrel for points. It frustrated him so much and carried onto their relationship. They were both getting fed up of it but loved each other nonetheless.

Marcus stared at his ceiling. This fighting was getting too much, he was getting so tired of it. He just wanted a normal relationship where they didn't fight as much. How could he make it up to her this time? How could he apologise this time? Flowers? Chocolate? No, they'd seem less genuine since he has gifted her those things before. There was a buffer for a moment, whne his mind wouldn't think of anything whatsoever but then, a thought he never thought he would think popped up. She'd be so much happier without me. He hated that his kind would come up with such a sentence but this sentence was fitting for what was happening lately. She would be better without him. Marcus thought about that one simple sentence, overcomplicating everything in every way possible. He had to do something and unfortunately, he knew what he had to do.

The sun crept through the curtains and Marcus wasn't having any second thoughts. He knew what he had to do. He reached for his phone, went to his recent calls and was about to press the call button whne he started having second thoughts. Did he really want this? Did he really want to break up with her? His thumb pressed down firmly on the button and he brought the phone up to his face. No going back now. The phone rang for a few seconds before she answered. "Hello?" she asked. She sounded so down and sad, probably over that fight too. "Y/n?" He croaked through the phone. "Come to apologise?" She asked. He let out a sigh. "No, not exactly." He paused and rubbed the back of his neck. "What do you mean by that?" Her voice was shaking. "I want to see you smile." he replied. "Okay? What's that supposed to mean? This is making no sense Marcus." Marcus' bottom lip began trembling. He was about to make the biggest mistake of his life but she'd be happier surely. All this was to make her happy. "It means I have to leave." The line went silent for a few moments before Y/n spoke up. "What do you mean? You're already gone, I don't get it." She did get it. She was just trying to play dumb so maybe he'd realise how stupid this idea was. "Um-" Marcus again. "Lately I've been thinking, I want you to be happier. So I guess I have to leave for that to happen." Y/n felt numb. Her whole world was falling apart and crashing down. "Marcus, let's just talk about this-"
"We don't need to. We're breaking up. You can do so much better than me, alright?" She didn't understand where he was coming from. Why so sudden? Why on the phone? "So why are you taking about this wanting me to smile bullshit?" she asked.

"Look, we pretend we're okay but we're clearly not. You smile through it but we both know you're not really happy and I think someone else could make you happy." Marcus' words weren't even getting through to her. She was too upset. She loved Marcus, anybody could see that. Yes their fights got too much but nothing they couldn't handle. "But I love you." she tearily whispered. Marcus swallowed down a cry. "I'm sorry. It's for the best." he said. "Marcus please. Don't go." Y/n begged. Her voice was breaking and she was too. "I have to." Marcus lifted the phone away from his face but could still hear her crying. "Marcus, Marcus, Marcus! Please no! Don't-"

The second he hung up, the tears came flooding. He curled up crying his eyes out, loud sobs heard in every corner of the room. He'd done it. He didn't want to but he did. He made her happier...

well he thought he did