❄️Valtteri Bottas - Underneath The Tree

·Xmas day 2·

You're here,
Where you should be
Snow is falling as the carols sing
It just wasn't the same
Alone on Christmas day
Presents, what a beautiful sight
Don't mean a thing if you ain't holding me tight
You're all that I need

Underneath The Tree

Y/n swirled her glass of wine around in her hand. She'd always loved Christmas, no matter what. She decided to host a dinner party the day after Christmas. She was planning on having it on Christmas Day but she was aware of her friends all having families and boyfriends to go and celebrate with. Not Y/n. She was in a relationship, a long term one too but it didn't go to plan. With Y/n working and living in France and her then boyfriend Valtteri going all around the globe most of the year, things didn't work out and she called it quits. To be perfectly honest, she did miss him a lot.

Another handful of guests had walked in and left their coats with Y/n as she greeted each and every one of them. "Hey Grace! Hey Steven, Hey Valtteri, Hey Kelly-" She continued smiling at the other guests before she had to do a double take. "Valtteri?" he turned back and smiled. "Y/n." He replied. "What are you doing here?" she asked, hanging up the guest's coats. "Your mother invited me." Y/n took a breath in. "Did you not know?" he asked. "Of course I knew! It just slipped my mind. I've had so much going on recently, I just completely forgot." She laughed, waving her hand all over the place. "Perfect. Maybe I can go get us a drink and we can catch up?" he suggested. Although she wanted to, so very badly, she couldn't. Her pride wouldn't allow it. "I actually need to go to my mother. She needed me but I had to come get the door as you can see." she chuckled. Valtteri nodded. "Well, hopefully we can catch up by the end of the night." She smiled at the thought. "I missed you a lot you know." He added. She was going to reply, but found herself saying the completely wrong thing, coming across as rude. "Drinks are over by the table." and with that, she walked away, leaving Valtteri all by himself.

Y/n looked around for her mother, only to find her by the fireplace, chatting with her other friends. She walked up and lightly tapped her on the shoulder. "Excuse me, can I talk to you for a second?" Y/n asked. Her mother nodded and they walked out to the hallway. "Why is Valtteri here?" she asked. "Oh he's here already? He told me he wouldn't be here until ten-"

"You're missing the point, why didn't you tell me?" Her mother let out a sigh. "You haven't been the same since the breakup. I wanted to show you how wrong you were to leave him." Y/n scoffed. "First mistake was trying to prove me wrong-"

"Can you put your pride aside for a minute and think about your happiness for just one second?" Y/n was quiet and still. "No, because him being away all the time fucked with my happiness." Her mother could only laugh. "Or was it you over thinking everything?" Y/n was stuck for words. Her mouth would open, only sounds would come out. "You know what- I- you-" She groaned. "I'm going to get a drink."

The entire night, she avoided Valtteri like the plague. She wanted to prove her mother wrong. She wouldn't go back to Valtteri, eeven if she was being paid to. He hurt her....or was it the other way around? Either way, she never went back on a decision she made. She was stubborn like that.

Halfway through the night, the noise got louder and louder and people were getting drunker by the sip. She had to keep running around, cleaning up bottles and glasses, basically playing waitress for the rest of the night. She continued running around after everyone when she spotted someone, smartly dressed slumped over by the sink. She squinted but knew who it was immediately.

"Valtteri?" He turned with a wide, dopey grin on his face. "Y/n!" he exclaimed upon seeing her. She began dragging him towards the door after seeing how drunk he was. He couldn't stay any longer or he'd only get more and more drunk and then maybe even worse. "Val, come on. Let's get you home-" He stopped dead in his tracks. "This is my home." He sounded hurt. "No, it's not. I live here." She replied. "So do I."

"Valtteri, we broke up and you moved out." The pair went quiet after that. It was like something had just switched. Valtteri was too drunk to remember but he managed to. "Oh." He paused. "I was stupid to do that then, wasn't I?" She shook her head. "It wasn't you, it was me." Valtteri pulled down on his jacket and nodded. "I should get going then, shouldn't I?" She regretfully followed him out the door. The didn't speak, the only thing that could be heard were the pebbles crunching on tve ground as they walked. Valtteri got to his new Alfa Romeo and patted his pockets. "I can't find my keys." Y/n arched a brow. "You were actually going to drive in your condition?" she asked. "What do you mean in my conditon?"

"You are drunk! You couldn't even walk up the avenue straight!" Her waved her comments away. "I'll be fine, just help me find my keys." She shook her head and dragged him back inside. "Nope, come on. You're sleeping in the spare bedroom." It was a short walk back but a long process to get him up the stairs yet, he managed to get up.

She lay him down and pulled the blanket over him. "This is my bed." Valtteri muttered. She looked up at him. "It is. I moved out of this room and into the other one. Can't stand being in here since you left." She explained. "I didn't leave you, you left me." She nodded. "It just wasn't the same." The room was silent. "What wasn't?" he asked. "Being alone on Christmas Day." Silence again, until Valtteri's voice cut through it. "But surely all the presents and gifts were beautiful." She shook her head. "Didn't mean anything. I didn't have you."

"Y/n? Do you still love me?" She thought long and hard about whether she should tell him or not. She wanted to prove her mother wrong, but she wanted to be happy again and happiness started with Valtteri. "Of course I do." she blubbered out. "Good, because I still love you." She smiled as she felt relief pass over her. "You sure that isn't the drink talking?" He shrugged his shoulders. "It's just me, a little bit drunk but drunk words are sober thoughts." She chuckled. "I suppose they are."

"I'll talk to you tomorrow. When you're feeling better." She patted his chest. "And when I've found my keys." She laughed. "Of course, when you've found your keys." There was a silence filling the room, once again. "Goodnight Valtteri."

"Goodnight Y/n."

Y/n walked out and closed the door, smiling like a schoolgirl. She turned and saw her mother, arms crossed, grinning. "What?" she asked. "Oh nothing, just-" she paused. "I told you so." She rolled her eyes and walked back downstairs, finding herself more content than when she first walked up. This time, knowing Valtteri still loved her and this time, knowing she got what she wanted for Christmas, was right up in the spare bedroom, asleep.