George Russell (6)

disappointment
/dɪˈpɔɪntm(ə)nt/
noun
sadness or displeasure caused by the non-fulfilment of one's hopes or expectations.

Y/N - your name

I zip up my pink racing suite, getting ready for the Bahrain Grand Prix. As I sit down, about to put on my racing shoes, a knock on the door stops me. "Come in!" I shout as I look back down and focus on my shoes. I hear the door open and a tall mass sit next to me. "Hey babe." George says but not in his normal cheery voice. I look up to see a very nervous George sitting next to me.

"You nervous, hun?" I question as I sit up and lean into him. "A little. I just don't want anything bad to happen. My luck the crew will mess something up or I will mess up like crashing." George says as he stares out the window. "Babe, these things will only happen if you expect them too. Be confident and relax." I say as I grab his hand and squeeze it reassuringly. "I can safely say you have a massive chance of winning this race." I continue making him smile.

"You think I'm that good?" He asks making me scoff. "Babe, you used to destroy me in F2. Now you have a proper car, so I know you'll do well." I say as I smile up at him. "I love you." He says before placing his lips on mine. "I love you too. Now go and win your first F1 trophy." I say once we've pulled away. George leaves as I continue getting ready.

Within minutes, I'm in the car getting strapped up. "Good luck out there, Y/N." I hear Lawrence say through my earphones. "Thanks Lawrence. Lets do this." I say as the car starts. I drive out the pit lane and line up out on the grid, in 6th spot. The formation lap begins as we all move around, trying to warm our tires. We line up in our places, staring off at the red light.

I press my foot on both pedals as I wait for the red lights to disappear. As soon as they are gone, I let go of the brake pedal and shoot up. I get stuck between a couple of the drivers but make it through the first few corners until I feel a big knock to the back of me, making me spin. I look over at Charles and Max who have crashed in the wall. I let out a frustrated sigh as I get back into first gear and pull off, and try and catch up to the rest of the cars. Since it was a yellow flag, I stop at the pits to replace my tires and to replace any other damages like front wings.

I get back on track and start my journey back to top 10. I'm there in a matter of a few laps and soon enough I've made my way to top 3. I sigh in happiness, more than happy to get a third place podium. "Alright, Y/N! You're doing fantastically well. Try catch up to the two Mercedes but don't push it too much. They have incredible pace tonight." My race engineer, Steve, says. "Copy." I say as I continue my normal pace.

As I'm reaching the start/finish line, I see a commotion in the pit lane. I shrug it off, knowing well it's not the Racing point team as myself and Lance were both still on track. I see George exit the pit just in front of me. I make no attempts trying to over take him, knowing very well that he had fresh tires on whilst I still had old mediums on. As we go around the track, I see George turn back into the pit lane, making me frown.

"Get in there, Y/N! First place! Keep the pace up." Steve says. "What happened to the Mercedes?" I ask as I continue driving. "A failed double pit stop. Bottas is on old hards and George is on new tires but all the way in 15th spot at the moment." Steve finishes. I couldn't help but feel bad for George. Yeah sure, I was leading the race and would possibly finish it in first, but George deserved this.

After a few more laps, I cross the finish line, my first podium in first place. "Congrats Y/N! We are so proud of you!" Steven says as I hear cheering in the background. I let the happy tears fall. "Thank you so much guys!" I say as I cut the radio, needing the time for myself.

I park in the first place spot and jump out of the car, fireworks cracking behind me. This was a dream come true. I run to my team, hugging them and thanking them, until my thoughts are interrupted by the thought of George. "Sorry guys! I have to go!" I shout at them as I run to the back, knowing George would be there. Many officials and my team shout at me, telling me that I have to get back, but I don't listen.

I reach the back as I see George seated on the floor, head in hands. "Congrats Y/N." his personal trainer says to me. I thank him as I turn my attention back to George as he leaves. "George..." I trail off as I sit next to him, not knowing what I should really say. "Whatever you do, don't say sorry." George says as he stares down at me, his eyes bloodshot and his lip quivering. "You deserved that podium." He says making me smile. "But what about you?" I question as I lean my head on his shoulder.

"They messed up, babe. I'll be okay." He says as I feel him press a wet kiss to my forehead. "I'm so proud of you." He says, his voice breaking. I look up into his eyes and smile, "I love you." I say as he pulls me into a tight hug. "I love you too and I'm so happy for you." He says as he rests his head on mine. "Y/N! You need to come and get your trophy." A random official says as I let out a sigh. "Go get your trophy princess." George says making me smile.

I get up and run to the podium. I revive my trophy and celebrate with Lance and Ocon, happy we all achieved something extraordinary tonight. We hug and dance in the champagne, big smiles on our faces. I look into the crowd as I spray everyone with champagne and see George at the back, by himself, clapping for me with a proud smile on his face.

-

I walk hand in hand with George back to the hotel. We both collapse into the bed, exhausted from today. "I'm so disappointed." George says as I look over at him. "You have every right to be." I say as I move closer to him and rest my head on his chest. "Do I tho? Babe, it's your special night. You won for Christ sakes. I don't wanna take your happiness away with my complaining." George says making me chuckle.

"Babe, you're human and you feel emotion. You complaining about being disappointed won't do anything to me. To be fair, I'm also mad." I say making him stifle a laugh. "You deserved it tho." He says. "But I would rather take a third place or second place if it meant you could get first." I say as I trace different shapes on his chest. "You're too good for me." He says making me scoff. "You're too handsome for me." I say. "Stop lying." He says making me laugh. "Sorry, I thought we were speaking bullshit after your statement." I say making him raise an eyebrow. "Just because you won doesn't mean you aren't gonna get tickled by me." And with that, George attacks me with tickles, ending the night off with some laughs despite the bad result for George.

*****

I'm still not over it and will never be over it tbh. I love George so much and he really deserved it. But it's okay, his time is coming soon. I had this idea for so long but never write about it smh. But now you have it! Stay safe lovies xx