Mick Schumacher (10)

calm
/kɑːm/
adjective
not showing or feeling nervousness, anger, or other strong emotions

Y/N - your name

"Mommy! Can you please help me?!" My baby boy, Mateo, exclaims from his bedroom. I finish off my toast and rush upstairs. I walk into his room to see him dangling his feet off the bed. "Yes hun?" I ask as he gives me a small smile, "Can you please tie my shoe laces? I did them, but they not tight." He says with flushed cheeks as I smile. "Sure thing." I say as I walk over and start tying his shoe laces tighter.

"Is my big boy ready to race?" My husband, Mick, asks as he walks into Mateo's room. Mateo nods his head with a big smile. "That's what I like to see!" Mick exclaims as I chuckle at my overly excited husband. "You have to win, okay. I know what talent you have." Mick says as Mateo nods his head. I give Mick a look, warning him not to say anything further.

Mick has been pushing Mateo to work hard for karting. As much as Mateo enjoyed it and could handle Mick training him almost every day, I knew it was taking a toll on the young boy. At 6 years old, you're meant to go outside and play with your friends, but all Mateo does is train. I tried speaking to Mick but to no success. At least I was able to ensure that at least two days were free for Mateo so that the poor boy could live a semi-normal life.

"Ready Freddy?" I ask him as he nods his head. We walk together as a family out into the car and take the short drive to the track. Upon arrival, I see the nerves settling into both Mateo and Mick. "Hun, can you go say hi to everyone and check that everything's ready? I'll bring Mateo in a minute." I tell Mick as he nods. "Don't take too long." Mick says before pressing a kiss to my lips.

When Mick is out of the car and gone, I look behind me at Mateo who looks like he is about to burst into tears. "Mateo, hun, are you okay?" I ask him even though I know he's not. "I'm really scared, mommy. I'm scared that daddy isn't happy with me after the race." He says as his bottom lip quivers. "Oh my baby, don't say that! Why do you think daddy is gonna be mad?" I ask as I reach over and caress his sweaty hand.

"There's this one boy, Kyle, that has been kicking my butt the past few friendly races. I know that I might not beat him and I'm scared daddy is going to be mad." He says as I smile sympathetically at the young boy. Mick has been telling Mateo that he has to win this races which I knew was a massive amount of pressure for such a young boy. "Baby, listen to me." I say as I grab his hand tightly.

"No matter what place you come, we will be proud of you no matter what. Sure, daddy might be a little mad, but he would definitely not be disappointed in you and he won't stay mad at your for long. I think daddy is just scared about how you will feel." I say, hoping he understood what I was saying. "So if I don't come first, you won't be mad?" Mateo asks as I smile at him, "You could come stone last and I'd be proud of you." I say as I pinch his cheek making him laugh.

"Come, lets go and get your first race over and done with." I say as he nods excitedly. I get him out of the car and walk with him to the track. We go to the backroom where Mateo would be getting ready. I would have to leave Mick and Mateo alone, since Mick was kinda his trainer, and go and sit with the other parents. Whilst waiting for the races I chat with all the other parents about kid stuff until Mick comes and sits next to me.

"I'm so nervous for him." Mick says as I chuckle, "He will do just fine. Just calm down." I say as he nods and smiles over at me. The boys start going around in a matter of no time. Mateo starts off with a bang, leading into the first few corners. Mick was being the dramatic parent he is, screaming as if Mateo could hear him. But as the last two laps approached, Mateo seemed to drop off, allowing someone to pass him, probably that kid Kyle he was speaking about.

Mateo finishes second with everyone cheering for him. Everyone adored him as he tried his best to please everyone. I look over at Mick to hug him, but instead he has a disappointed look written all over his face. Before I could speak to him, he gets up and walks to the backroom where he would meet Mateo after the podium celebration. "Don't worry hun, my husband is the exact same." A lady behind me says as I chuckle. "They are so dramatic." I say as we share a laugh.

I cheer for all the boys when they get their trophies, but mainly for Mateo of course. He runs over to me, despite not being allowed too, and hugs me tightly. He is a little disappointed with not getting first but I reassure him that coming second is just fine. He rushes to the back to greet his father. I say goodbye to the parents and make my way to the car knowing the boys shouldn't be too long.

I wait for about 5 minutes until I see Mateo and Mick waking together. Both of them look sad and mad, making me frown in confusion. They get into the car, saying nothing. Mick drives straight home, not a peep being made. When we arrive home, we walk in together as a family but Mateo dashes off to his room and slams his door closed.

I look at Mick, frowning at the German. "What the fuck did you say to him?" I ask him as he sighs and looks down. He says nothing so I continue, "Did you say how disappointed you are at him?" Mick avoids eye contact making me shake my head, "What the fuck Mick? He did just fine!" I exclaim. "He came second, not first! How is that fine?" Mick asks as I raise my eyebrows. "Mick, he's a kid for Christ sakes. He is 6! He's doing so well and all you're doing is bringing him down. If you continue like this, you're gonna make him hate a sport he is genuinely passionate about!" I shout at my husband as he sighs.

"You're right. I feel like such a dick." He says before sitting down on the couch. I sit next to him as caress his arm, "Just say you're sorry and that you're proud of him." I say but Mick just shakes his head. "He probably hates me." He says as he rubs his temples. "He definitely doesn't, okay? He loves you so much." I say as he smiles over at me. "Can you come with?" He asks as I chuckle, "Yes." I say as I stand up and offer him my hand.

He grabs my hand as we walk over to Mateo's room. I knock on the door and enter to see him laying on his bed simply just staring at the ceiling. "Hun, daddy wants to speak to you." I say as I nudge Mick. "Son, I'm not disappointed at you. I know I shouted at you and said how mad I was, but I didn't mean it like that. I'm more mad at myself because I feel as if you deserved so much better." Mick says as Mateo looks at him.

"Daddy I love you." Mateo says with a small smile. "I love you too." Mick says as he walks over and hugs the young boy. "Come mommy!" Mateo shouts as I chuckle and walk over, cuddling both of them. "What do you say we get takeouts?" Mick asks as Mateo gasps, "Really? You never allow me to have nice food." Mateo says as I smile over at Mick, "Son, you deserve whatever you want." Mick says looking over at me.

I mouth a "thank you" as he nods and smiles before pulling both of us into a tight hug.

*****

I LOVE THISSSSSSSSSS. Anyway, stay safe lovies xx