Daniel Ricciardo (8)

challenge
/ˈtʃalɪn(d)ʒ/
noun
a call to someone to participate in a competitive situation or fight to decide who is superior in terms of ability or strength.

Y/N - your name

I smile at my boyfriend, Daniel, as he dances towards me. "Hey baby. I see you're excited for qualifying." I say as he scoffs. He wraps his arms around me as he sways me to absolutely nothing, "When am I not excited?" He says as I nod, "True true. My happy boy." I say as he gives me a wide smile. He leans down and presses a quick kiss to my lips. "Right, I'll see you after qualifying." He says as I ruffle up his hair. "Good luck babe! Go get a top 10!" I exclaim as he gives me a thumbs up.

-

Unfortunately, Daniel couldn't achieve what we both wished for. Since coming to McLaren, he has been struggling a lot. I mean, it makes sense as to why he is struggling. It's a completely new car, and as much as he doesn't want to admit it, he was getting older so it's a little more difficult to continue with the pace of the F1 calendar. Prime examples are Kimi and Vettel. They both still doing just fine, but they definitely not what they used to be (I still love them tho! But in the end, they still amazing drivers. Better than Mazespin)

I give Daniel a small smile as he takes off his helmet. He walks towards me and hugs me tightly, "It's okay, babe. You'll do even better tomorrow." I say as he sighs, "I know, it's just even more of a challenge than it already is." He says as I caress his cheeks, "But you're strong. You'll do amazing." I say as he gives me a small smile. It wasn't like Daniel to give me such a small smile. Even after a bad race, he would be mad or sad, but after some comfort, he is the Daniel everybody loves. But since joining McLaren, he seems so disheartened because Lando is flying and he isn't.

I leave him so he can do the interviews and chat with his Racing engineer. After a few hours, we walk to his house in Monaco, since it wasn't exactly super far. I also wanted to walk this morning as the weather in Monaco is beautiful. I look over at Daniel as he is staring up at the sky, completely lost in his own thoughts. "Daniel." I say softly as he looks down at me as he squeezes my hand. "Yes, my love?" He asks as I blush at the name he loves calling me.

"I know it's hard right now. But I just want you to know that I'm proud of you no matter what. You could come stone last and I'd still be proud of you. I know it's not gonna make all the disappointment go away, but I just want you to know that I'm on your side and will forever support you." I say as we both stop under a street light. "Thanks, hun. It's means a lot. It's just, I'm not mad at you and I know I sometimes take it out on you, but I want you to know that I'm just challenged right now. I know what I can do with the car but I'm just not there yet. But thank you for believing in me. You always know how to make my day." He says as he leans down and presses a sweet kiss to my glossy lips.

-

I watch Daniel cross the line, finishing twelfth place. I clap for him, but I know deep down that he's gonna be disappointed with that. After all the small tests that they have to do to make sure the teams aren't cheating and all the interviews, Daniel finally makes his way to his drivers room where I have been waiting for him. He walks in as I give him a small smile. "I'm sorry." He says as he looks down, avoiding eye contact.

"Oh hun! Don't you dare say sorry. It's okay to not always succeed." I say as I walk towards him and engulf him in a tight hug. "It's just... do I even belong in this sport anymore?" He asks as I scoff, "Oh course you do. You're Daniel fucking Ricciardo!" I shout as he chuckles softly. "Listen to me, life will throw rocks and boulders your way and they will definitely knock you down, but it's how you walk away from it that matters. It's okay to fail, but don't let it change you." I say as he nods his head.

"You shouldn't be a doctor, you know. You should be a motivational speaker." He says as I chuckle softly. I step on my tippy toes and press my lips to his. "I'm just gonna get dressed and then we can go." He says as I nod my head. I sit down on the couch and look out the small window. I see the Monaco pool, smiling from the memories just a few years ago when Daniel won here.

Thats when an idea pops into my head. "Right, lets go." He says as he opens the door for me. "Babe, follow me real quick." I say as I walk out the door, walking towards the blue pool. I don't answer Daniel, despite him asking where we are going. I walk straight to the pool as he chuckles, "Princess, we can be here." He says as I scoff, "Well, we are here anyway." I say as I stand at the edge of the pool.

I stretch out my hand, offering him my tiny hand. Without another word, Daniel grabs my hand. I quickly take out my phone and his, and place it a little further away from the pool as I look at him, "Daniel, remember just a few years ago when you stood here and belly flopped into the pool?" I question as he shakes his head, "How can I forget?" He says in a melancholy tone.

"Well, that man that won is still you. You're still talented and you're still the great Daniel Ricciardo. You're amazing babe, even if the car brings you down. Now, belly flop into this pool with me." I say as he laughs. Without another word, he spreads himself out and falls into the pool, bringing me with him. We both splash into the pool, making the water tip over the edge of the pool.

I rise to the surface and see Daniel looking at me, "I love you. Thank you for always keeping me going." He says as I smile, "The only reason I keep you going is because you do the exact same for me." I say as I swim to him and close the gap between us, sharing a sweet kiss in the pool with the most memories.

*****

Okay but this was cute. Can I just say I feel so sorry for Dan, but I know he will get used to the car sooner or later. Hope y'all enjoyed. Stay safe lovies xx