Charles Leclerc (13)

neighbourhood
/ˈneɪbəhʊd/
noun
a district or community within a town or city

Y/N - your name

I open the oven as soon as the timer goes off, the aroma of sugary goodness fills my nostrils as I sigh in content. I pull out the cookies and place them on a rack to cool down. I switch the oven off and throw my oven mittens down on the kitchen table. I grab my little goodie bags, placing them near the cookies so that I could get them ready as soon as possible.

When lockdown happened, my small bakery took a massive knock. So big that I couldn't afford to live in the U.K. anymore. It sucked, but it also had its benefit as I could move to my favorite country, Italy. I have always had a massive fascination with the country, loving the small streets and wild nightlife. So I moved here, not only because owning a bakery is a little bit cheaper, but also I have connections with an old college buddy which said that she would work alongside me.

But, Murphy's Law, when I arrived here, there was yet another small lockdown. It's only a week, which is great as I know I probably won't survive a month of no income, but also I can finally start the life I've always wanted to live. Since I'm new to the country, I'm obviously living in a new neighborhood. It's actually a more bigger neighborhood than I thought I'd get into. The streets aren't as small and the houses are pretty big.

I was lucky enough to get the house in sale but there are a lot of renovations that need to be done, but I don't mind. It's always fun to renovate your own home from scratch. With a new neighborhood and little to no actual friends here, I decided to bake for the street. It wasn't hard, I'm a baker for Christ sakes. It's really simple and it only took me half the day. I started early enough so it's only roughly 12pm.

Once the cookies have cooled, I place them in a goodie bag, 2 per bag in case they have kids or have someone living with them. Once all of them are finished and tied with a cute purple bow, I go upstairs to get ready. I slip on a dress and sandals since it was pretty hot today, before rushing downstairs and grabbing the goodie bags. I walk with a few bags at a time and place them in my little basket on my bicycle. Once all of them are in, I check that I'm all set before going around the street.

I knock on everyone's door, handing them a bag or leaving them under the shade on their doorstep. It was nice and fun meeting new people as well as the ride itself. The fresh air blows my hair all over the place, but it's nice, almost freeing. Once I'm done with majority of the streets, stopping at a few homes for a drink or two with everyone here. Luckily, most of them could speak English as majority of them were massive businessmen who travel all over the world or business women who own these massive corporate companies.

I wave goodbye to a little old lady who was living in a similar home to mine before making my way to the last house. This house was pretty small, not as small as mine, but not as big as the rest. It honestly looks pretty deserted barely any decorations outside the home unlike the rest of the homes. I knock on the door once parking my bike aside. It seems like forever until someone answers the door.

A young man open the door with a smile. "Hello, can I help you?" The man asks in Italian. "Oh hi, I'm y/n! I'm new to the street and just wanted to introduce myself." I say in English as he smiles down at me. "Nice to meet you, y/n. I'm Charles.' He says back in English as he extends his hand out for me. I shake it before grabbing the cookies from my basket. "I baked some cookies. I'm a baker and just wanted to give these to everyone as a 'hi' gift." I say as he chuckles.

"Thank you! These look amazing. Would you like to join me inside? Maybe share these cookies?" He asks as I smile up at him. "That sounds great." I say and walk into his home. It's very simple and plain, white and grey furniture left, right and center. "So why did you move here?" Charles asks as he walks back from the kitchen with two bottles of water in hand. "I just wanted to start my own business in a country I love." I say as he smiles and nod his head. "That sounds great." He says as I chuckle.

"And you?" I ask as he chuckles. "I actually don't really live here. I actually live in Monaco but the Ferrari factory is here so I gotta be here during weekdays sometimes." He says as I raise my eyebrows. "I'm a driver." He adds as I chuckle. "That sounds amazing. I wish I could drive a Ferrari." I gush making him laugh. "If you carry on baking biscuits like this then I can definitely promise you a ride in a Ferrari." He says making me laugh.

"But, seriously, y/n, these are amazing. What's your secret ingredient?" He asks as I shrug, "I can't say. It's a secret." I say with a wink. The secret ingredient was cinnamon, but we just won't tell him just in case. "So tell me more about you." He says as he sits back in his chair, staring at me intently. "Well, I'm a baker obviously. I'm currently 22 years old, 23 in about 4 months time. I have a younger brother and a step sister who actually is amazing." I say as he smiles.

"Your life sounds so chilled. I wish." He says as I chuckle. "Crazy life for a driver?" I question as he nods his head, "Very crazy. If I'm not at the factory, then I'm practicing on the sim. If not on the sim, then I'm training and it's just a vicious cycle really." He says as I chuckle, "Sounds fun though. You get to drive a Ferrari." I say making him laugh loudly. "True, true. Do you watch F1?" He asks as I shake my head, "I don't, but maybe I should." I say, flirting with the young man.

He is super attractive definitely making me get butterflies around the young man. He is also super sweet, something very rare in this day and age. "A flirt I see.' He says making me giggle. "What can I say?" I joke with a shrug making him laugh. "Well, how about a date? Maybe a drive around the city in a Ferrari?" He questions making me smile. "How can I possibly say no to that?"

*****

Guys, this is soooo random WOW but it's actually kinda cute. Maybe a part two if y'all would like?