Daniel Ricciardo (1)

almost
/ˈɔːlməʊst/
adverb
not quite; very nearly.

Y/N - your name

I watch in shock as I see Daniel, my boyfriend of 2 years, cut in front of Lando Norris and land in P4. I smile, obviously proud of him, however I couldn't handle seeing him in danger. You would think I would've gotten used to it but it's one of those things that you never get used to. Daniel has put himself in danger before and that has made me almost kill him, ironically. 

I sigh as I get up and start making dinner for when he arrives back home. I desperately wanted to be there, watching his race but Corona said no. I grab all the ingredients to make pizza and make him a Hawaiian Pizza (pineapple and ham) which I know he enjoys. It's not his favorite but I really wanted it and didn't feel like making two different pizzas.

I pop the pizza into the oven as I watch the rest of the race. He was never close to third place however I just wish he would finally get on to the podium. It's been awhile since he has been on the podium, mainly because of corona but I know either way how much he craves winning. That's what costs him the race more often than not, his passion and fire to win.

I watch as Lewis, Max and Charles lift their trophies and celebrate with the champagne as always. I always watch it because it's always super funny. I was shocked Lewis had even won the race since his tire gave way. This just proves how good Lewis is. He can even finish first on three wheels. I watch all their interviews and smile as I see Daniel having his interview.

As always, he is the happiest man with the biggest smile but after knowing him for 2 years, I could see he is devastated he didn't come third. He jokes with the interviewer and talks about the race. "And how's everything at home Dan?" The interviewer asks as he smiles. "Oh man, it's great! My girlfriend Y/N is supporting me from home unfortunately because she can't watch in person. I know it's tough for her but at least she is still able to watch this sexy beast on TV am I right?" He questions as he motions to himself.

I roll my eyes and chuckle at his childish behavior. I hear everyone around and the interviewer crack up as they continued. "I'm just so lucky to have her, all jokes aside. She will always comfort me and congratulate me which is something I need since it does boost my self esteem up. I mean, it's one thing to just say "good job" but it's something else when you arrive home and she leaps into your arms and tells you how this overtake or this battle was amazing. She is just super positive and I hope it rubs off on me." Dan said as I smiled.

He was always this sweet. One thing I don't think he understands is how his positivity rubs off on me. "That's sweet man. Enjoy your night and say hi to Y/N for us." The interviewer said as Dan nodded, smiling wide as he hears my name. I hear the oven ping as I go and take out the pizza. I watch the rest of the interviews of the other racers and other nonsense until I hear the door opening.

I smile as I stand up and walk to the front door. He is standing there, with his arms open wide, waiting for me to leap into his arms like he said on TV. I smile as I jump into his arms. "Your race was amazing babe." I said as he sighed into my hair. "You know babe, thank you for saying that but I'm not sure." He said as he walked in. I frowned as he sat down on the couch. "What do you mean? P4 is fantastic! Better than the last race even." I said but he shook his head.

"Its all great but I still didn't get P3. I almost came third but I guess almost isn't enough." He sighed as I gave him a weak smile. I knew there was something wrong when I saw him on TV. I knew he was happy but that sadness and defeat still creeps in unfortunately. "Well babe, this is the start of you reaching your podium position." I started as I sat next to him and placed his hand on mine. I gave it a small squeeze as he squeezed it back. "Just think, if you continue to race like this and Mercedes keep making that mistake then you'll definitely reach P3 in no time. You're a great driver Dan." I said as he smiled and chuckled at my Mercedes comment.

I kissed his cheek as he blushed. "Wow, you're blushing for me? I clearly said the right thing." I giggled as he rolled his eyes but still smiled brightly at me. "Thanks babe." He said as he kissed my lips. "It's a pleasure treasure." I said as I stood up. "Hungry?" I asked as he nodded. "What did you make? It smells really good in here." He said as I smile. "Guess." I said as he rolled my eyes.

He took in a long sniff and smiled. "Pizza?" He questioned as I nodded. "Ugh you know me so well babe." He said as e stood up and kissed my cheek. "It's in the-" "Oven!" He cut me off as I rolled my eyes. "Where else would it be babe?" He questioned as he laughed. "I mean... I could've put it in the microwave." I said as we both laughed. Eventually sitting down and enjoying our dinner whilst watching random Disney movies for the rest of the night.

*****

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed! I wrote this imagine quite awhile ago hence why Charles is there😂 Please vote for the chapter if you enjoyed xx. Stay safe everyone!