Daniel Ricciardo (15)

stubborn
/ˈstʌbən/
adjective
having or showing dogged determination not to change one's attitude or position on something, especially in spite of good arguments or reasons to do so

Y/N - your name

I look at my racing helmet and then to my racing engineer, "I am shitting myself for this race." I say which only makes the old man laugh. "Y/N, you're gonna do just fine." He says but I answer with an annoyed scoff, "Darryl, I have never raced in raining conditions in an F1 car before. I don't know how to handle it and I'm so stressed." I say as I rub my forehead. "Well, first thing you have to do is calm down." He says as he rubs my back.

"And secondly, you'll only ever learn once you go out there and try. If you fuck up, you fuck up. Mistakes happen, but all that matters is that you learn." He says as I smile at him, "Thanks." I say as I let out a nervous sigh, "Now come, let's get your ass on track." He says as I nod in agreement.

I get all my gear on, fitting my helmet tightly around my face before jumping into my Ferrari. "You're gonna do just fine." I hear Darryl's voice in my ear. "Thanks. Lets get a good result." I say as I exit the pit lane. I line up in 6th position as the mechanics do last minute touch ups and keep my tires warm. "Okay, so remember, we are following Plan B. You're gonna dart straight." I hear Daryl as I nod, "Copy." I say as I start the engine. In a matter of seconds, we are making our way around the wet track, the formation lap.

"Okay, y/n, keep calm. You've got this. Monza is a tricky track, especially whilst raining, but you'll be just fine." Darryl says as I thank him once again. I line up in my spot and look around me, Daniel just ahead of me. The lights turn red as I press down on the accelerator and break. I let go of the break once the lights disappear. My wheels spin, causing me to pull off slowly, but I'm able to push forward and maintain my position.

Once the first corner is finished, I'm grateful as it's one of the trickiest corners especially during the start. But the nightmare continues as all the sudden, the back of Daniel's car makes contact with the front of mine.  We both move into the gravel due to the speed I hit him with as I slam my fists on the steering wheel. "Fuck!" I exclaim as I switch everything off. "It's okay, y/n. Are you okay?" I hear Darryl ask as I sigh, "Physically, yes I am but my ego has taken some damage." I say before getting out the car straight away.

I walk away until I hear Daniel behind me. I'm about to apologize but he beats me too it but with the words I didn't expect, "You're such a dumbass, y/n. Nice one ruining both our races." And with that he was gone. I didn't even bother catching up to him. There's no point in saying sorry to someone who talks to me like that.

Once I arrive back at the garage, I'm greeted with small smiles. "It's okay. It was deemed a racing incident." Darryl says as I frown, "Well, of course. I drove into the back of him as I didn't brake in time." I say, my eyebrows frowning at his statement. "No, Daniel had a puncture and drove too slowly." He says as I feel my blood start boiling. "So he called me a fucking dumbass when HE was the actual person who was at fault? Unbelievable." I say before storming to my drivers room.

I slam the door shut as I pace around the room. "Honestly, the nerve of that guy!" I exclaim to myself since my trainer hadn't arrived yet. "Sure, I get it, we are technically both at fault, but how the fuck could he only blame me? What a dickhead." I say as I hear someone clear their throats behind me. I look to see my trainer who has a sympathetic smile on her face, "He probably didn't wanna admit he was at fault. You know how his season has been." She says probably hearing the last part of the argument I was having with myself.

"But still, Carla, how can he only blame me?" I question as she tosses me my Ferrari shirt and a pair of jeans. I start getting undressed as she continues, "I know it's tough, but you should just apologize. We don't want the press trying to find any more excuses if you doing things wrong.' She says. I scoff, "I'm not apologizing to a complete dickhead." I simply say as I slip on a pair of white sneakers.

"Lets just get these interviews over with." I say as she nods. Since my PR called in sick, she had to take that role this week but I didn't mind, she good at any job. "Hello y/n. Tough race." Natalie says as I sigh, "Tell me about it." I say as we share a chuckle. "So tell me what happened? We could all see that you two were not happy with each other." She says as I nod, "Well, I mean, we were both knocked out of the race when we needed the points the most. Both of us were in good positions. Just unfortunate that Daniel's tire had a puncture. I was coming too fast to notice anything unusual and plus, I was focusing on Ocon who was beside me the whole time." I say as she nods in agreement.

"And is there any bad blood between you too now?" She asks as I sigh, "We both not happy with each other. Daniel solely blamed me, but it's okay. It's understandable and plus, I can take it. I just wish he'd own up just like I was about too until he walked off." I say with a small chuckle. "Well, I hope you two figure everything out. Have a nice night.' She says as I thank her. Interviews take forever since it was the same questions being asked over and over again.

After what feels like years, I finally walk into my hotel room with a sigh of relief. I quickly walk to the shower and shower before slipping my pajamas over my head. I call room service and order a pizza and ice cream before relaxing. Once my food arrive, I quickly eat before starting The Umbrella Academy. Halfway through the episode, a knock on the door interrupts me. I sigh before getting up and opening the door to see Daniel on the other side.

"Dan, if you're here for an apology, I'm not giving you one after the way you treated me on track. I found it very disrespectful how you solely blamed me. I didn't know you got a puncture and I couldn't see." I start before he could get a word out. "I know, and that's why I'm here to say I'm sorry. You didn't deserve the treatment I gave you. You're not a dumbass. If anything, I'm the dumbass for not owning up to the fact that I made a mistake.' He says as I smile up at the Australian.

"It's okay, and I'm sorry too. Ultimately we were both at fault." I say as he laughs, "I guess we are both just a little too stubborn." He says as I nod, "Probably more me than you." I say as we both laugh. "Can I take you out in a date as a sorry?" He asks as I look up at him to see his reddish cheeks and shy smile. "Of course, but only if we can go for ice cream afterwards.' I say as he nods his head, "I think that's a deal.' He says as he pulls me into a tight hug, one that I didn't know I was craving until now.

*****

This was good and bad at the same time, but y'all will live.  Stay safe lovies xx