(R) Michael Italiano (4)

physiotherapy
/ˌfɪzɪə(ʊ)ˈθɛrəpi/
noun
the treatment of disease, injury, or deformity by physical methods such as massage, heat treatment, and exercise rather than by drugs or surgery

Y/N - your name

I tap my right foot nervously and impatiently as I look up at the ref who is waiting for our little break to be finished. I look over at my opponent, Serena Williams, and shake my head. I was struggling against the tennis champion, rightly so as I'm just a rookie who managed to get to the quarter finals. I stood a grand chance of making it to the semi finals, already beating her in the first two sets, but I was exhausted.

My muscles ache with every move I make and my knees were taking strain as I have fallen over a few times. It was hard, but that's why I chose to be a tennis player because a victory is never meant to be easy anyway. I look over to the crowd where I knew my boyfriend, Michael, and Daniel Ricciardo are seated and give them a wave. Michael blows me a kiss which I catch and blow him one back.

"You ready, y/n?" The umpire asks as I nod my head. I stand up, along with Serena, as we make our way to the court. The first two serves go in my favor, but the third to get 40-0, I land wrong on my leg and feel my knee pop out of place. I crash to the floor, grabbing my knee as I let out a cry of pain. Serena and the umpire rush towards me, as well as the physiotherapists on court as I roll around in the ground.

"Breathe y/n, I know it's sore but it's gonna be okay." Serena says as I smile up at her. "You've probably torn your ACL. We need to get you to the hospital as soon as possible." The physio says as I sigh, "So I have to forfeit?" I ask as he nods sadly. "I'm so sorry, y/n. But great game nevertheless. You're a star in the making." Serena says as she helps me up, along with the other physiotherapists.

The crowd cheers for me as I am carried away from the court. I can't help but let the tears stream down my faces gutted at the fact that my chances of going all the way slipped through my fingers all because I landed wrong. As I'm being taken into the ambulance on the stretcher, Michael comes rushing towards me. "I'm her boyfriend." He says as the medic nods.

"Oh my girl, I'm so sorry. But don't worry, you'll be good as new in no time." He says as he presses wet kisses all over my face. "I'm so disappointed. Why did I allow my knee to be so weak?" I question as he shake his head, "It's not about weakness, it's about how you landed. You did nothing wrong and you couldn't have prevented it." He says as I sigh and look away, "I should've just given the point to her." I say as I wipe the tears from my eyes.

"But you're y/n, you're a fighter. If you gave that point away it wouldn't be you." He says as I feel him press a kiss to my forehead. "Now lets get you to the hospital and start on the journey to recovery." He says as he rubs my shoulder comfortingly. "I love you." I say as the ambulance vehicle starts moving. "I love you too." He says before pressing his lips to mine.

-

I'm allowed out of the hospital after 4 days in bed rest. Apparently, I did so much damage that moving too much would do more damage than good. But as soon as the fourth day was over, I'd be able to start my recovery program. Michael was there for me 24/7, telling me that everything is gonna be alright. It is really nice being with someone so supporting and loving.

I'm woken up the next morning by a hyperactive Michael, making me frown. "What?" I ask, angry that he woke me up before the sun has even started to rise. "We starting your recovery, babes." He says which makes me roll my eyes. I expected this, him helping me from my recovery, but not straight away. I thought he would've waited for me to be able to walk before telling me what to do.

"Michael, you do know I have my own physiotherapist, right?" I ask as I sit up in bed wincing as I move my knee wrong, "And so? It's always good to start ahead." He says as he switches the light on, "Babe, I can barely walk." I say which makes him scoff, "So, I'm gonna help you get walking sooner." He says as he holds out a hand. I take it reluctantly as he pulls me to the cupboard where he dresses me in a sports bra and baggy sweat pants.

He then carries me downstairs to the kitchen where we eat a quick breakfast, one from one of his own recipes, before walking outside where there's grass. By this time, the sun was slowly starting to rise, slightly illuminating the dark sky. "Okay so, we are gonna practice walking with crutches first and then we are gonna walk without them." He says as he hands me crutches.

Walking with crutches was easy, since I've done it before, but that only meant that my nightmare waiting to happen would come much sooner than anticipated. "Okay, now without crutches. Don't worry, I've got you." He says as he stands behind me. We walk around the garden, well, hobble around the garden. "Babe, come on, you need to support more of your own weight." He says.

"Babe, I'm tired and sore. Can you cut me some slack?" I question, getting annoyed by his over enthusiasm. "Babes you're an athlete, you're supposed to be healing quicker." He says. I feel my blood boil, "Michael, this is the first time I have ever had a bad injury as an athlete. I don't know how the fuck to cope with it because I feel so stupid for hurting myself in the first place! All I want to do is cry by myself in the room so I can finally grieve on losing out on the semi finals. So can you please just leave me alone!" I exclaim before grabbing the crutches on the ground and making my way inside.

I struggle up the stairs, but I eventually make it with a bit of determination. I slam the bedroom door shut before falling on the bed. For the first time since my surgery, I finally let the tears fall. It feels like hours until I stop crying but when I do, I feel guilty after shouting at Michael. In the end, all he wanted to do was help me recover quickly. I sigh before standing up and grabbing the crutches. I make my way downstairs, wincing every now and then as my knee hurt from the days events.

I see Michael laying down on the couch, out cold, which makes me smile. Once I get to the couch, I drop the crutches and sit by his crotch, making him shift and wake up due to the tight squeeze. "I'm sorry." I say as I lay down and pull myself close to him. He pulls me close to him before peppering my face with kisses, "No, I'm sorry. I just wanted to make you feel better but I should've known better." He says as he rubs my back comfortingly.

"No, I really appreciate your help. It's just... I'm just sad." I say as he nods and smiles, "I know. But you'll get through this. And no matter what, I'll be by your side." He says as he pinches my cheeks making me laugh. "I love you.' I say before leaning in and pressing my lips to his. "I love you too. Now come, I think we deserve some nice lunch." He says with a big smile on his bright face.

*****

Love this tbh so I hope y'all love this too. Stay safe lovies xx