Max Verstappen (13)

misfortune
/mɪsˈfɔːtʃuːn,mɪsˈfɔːtʃ(ə)n/
noun
bad luck or an unfortunate condition or event.

Y/N - your name

I walk through the Mercedes garage, slipping my balaclava over my braided hair. "You ready, Y/N?" Bono asks as I nod my head, smiling at the stressed man. "Good, good. See you out there." He says as I nod, thanking him. I walk to my car, touching the livery, almost as if I was caressing a baby. I sigh, the nerves starting to take over me. "Don't stress yourself, Y/N. Nothing good ever comes out of stressing." Lewis says behind me as I chuckle.

"Thanks Lewis. It's just... weird to finally be here." I say as he pats my shoulder with a kind smile attached to his lips, "You've worked hard. That's why you're getting a chance to drive for the team." He says as I nod, smiling at the Englishman. Bottas was out this race with a bad injury. He should be back for the French race but if not and I did well today, I would race again. I've worked so hard to be in this position, currently leading the F2 championship and with a possible seat next year with Williams, so to say I was stressed to do well today was an understatement.

When I arrived in Baku, all the guys were so nice to me, especially Max. He was trying to help me, offering to help me train and give me any useful tips. He was nice, and very attractive to say the least. He was also luckily single, breaking up with Kelly after finding out she had ties to her ex. I felt bad for him, he is genuinely such a nice guy and get treated shit in every single aspect.

"See you out there." Lewis says as he gives me a quick hug which I gladly accept. I jump into the car, getting strapped in and ready for my first race. I make my way out into the track, stopping in 6th place after a decent qualifying. I did make a mistake, but with the red flag, I couldn't improve. The race begins, with me shooting up into 5th place. The race continues with me in 5th for around 5 laps until a fast pit stop and undercut lands me in 2nd place.

I was more than happy to get a podium finish, definitely not minding a second place finish in my first race. Nearing the end of the race, I was able to close the gap between me and Max. Going down the main straight, I see Max go into the wall. I try and dodge the crash, swerving around, but my front tired catch a big chunk of debris, causing my car to flip over.

My whole life seems to flash before my eyes during the flip, despite the flip being a few seconds. I crash with a massive thud, knocking the top of my helmet. I groan once the car stops moving as I hear my engineer, Jerry, in my ears. "Y/N, copy. Are you okay?" He asks as I groan, feeling my neck ache from the massive impact. "Yeah, all good." I say as I start unstrapping myself.

"Try and get out the car as quick as possible." He says as I nod, "Will do." I say as I cut the communication. I start pulling myself out until I feel something hit near my feet. I look down to see the front of the car on fire. My eyes widen, knowing the car will possible explode any minute since there was still a decent amount of petrol in the car. I start panicking, struggling to get myself out of the car.

I close my eyes, waiting for the Big Bang until I feel two arms on my shoulders, pulling me out of my car. I grab onto the hands as I slip out the car, definitely not with ease as my hips drag into the tar. I look up to see Max as he pulls the last bit of me out the car. He picks me up bridal style as he jogs a short distance away from the car. As he puts me down, I look at the car to see a small flame appear, meaning it was about to blow.

I rugby tackle Max down, pulling him close as we hear a massive explosion. The debris falls onto both of us, making us flinch in each other's arms. Max holds me against his body tightly, trying to protect me as much as possible from the sharp debris. As soon as I feel that we are both safe, I look around, my helmet weighting my head down, as I see the car, almost non existent.

I sit up as Max lets out a sigh, "Are you okay?" He asks as I shake my head yes. "Just a bit shaken up." I say as he nods. We both stand up and make our way to the garages. I slip my helmet and balaclava off, noticing the small amount of blood on the white fabric. I sigh and toss it aside, not caring whatever happens to it. Max does the same, taking off his white and orange helmet as he carries it in his left hand. Max suddenly pulls me close to him, "You're trembling." He says as I look down at my hands which are shaking vigorously. "Sorry." I say but he shakes his head.

"Don't say sorry. It's a stressful experience." He says as I finally feel the tears stream down my face. "I messed up." I say, shaking my head. "I've ruined my chances of possibly racing ever again in F1." I say as I wipe my cheek with the back of my hand. I look back to notice the blood of my hand. I look up at Max who smiles down at me, "It wasn't your fault you crashed, princess. It happens. I know for a fact they will be impressed that you were catching up with me." He says with a small smile as he wipes his hand across my cheek.

"You've got a small cut, nothing that can't be fixed." He says with a small smile. "We can take a quick walk to the medical team and they can patch you up." He says as I nod. We take a short walk to the medics who just place a bandage over my cheek. "You're lucky, Y/N. You just got a small scratch. Could've been much worse!" The medic says as he pats my shoulder. I thank him as myself and Max make it back to the garage.

On arrival, we get an applause. I smile at everyone as the Mercedes crew rush over to me and hug me tightly. Max walks off to his own crew as Toto checks up on me. "You drove fantastically!" He exclaims as I chuckle. "I crashed though." I say shaking my head. "You were catching up to Max! I think we have another driver to be weary of." He says as he sends a wink to me.

I make my way to my drivers room, just wanting to shower and get out of my racing suite. During my shower, I flinch as I had tar burn all over my hips and my legs. Once dressed and feeling a little better, I make my way to Max's drivers room. I knock softly on the door. "Come in!" Max shouts. I walk in to see him in his RedBull shirt and dark blue jeans.

"Y/N! You look much better. I hope you're feeling better." He says as he wraps me up in a tight hug. I embrace him as I just melt into his arms. "Ready for interviews? They want us to do our interviews together." He states as I nod. "That's a first." I say as we start making our way out of his room. "There's always a first for everything in F1. You'll get used to that pretty quickly." He says as he pulls me close to him.

"I actually came into your room to say thanks. You saved me theoretically." I say as he scoffs, "Stop it! I know I'm super man. No need to remind me." He says sending me a wink. I push him slightly before he wraps me up in a firm embrace once again. "Wanna get food after this?" He asks as I shrug, "That sounds great." I admit as we reach Natalie who has a big smile plastered on her lips. "Hopefully a first of many." He states catching me off guard. Before I could answer, Natalie starts speaking. This man was doing something else to me but I liked it.

*****

Bad ending to a good story but y'all can live. Hope you guys enjoyed! I finally ate meat today! It hurt like a bitch but it was amazing. In SA, we have a think called Biltong. Babes, it's amazing but anyway. Stay safe lovies xx