Daniel Ricciardo (2)

karaoke
/ˌkarɪˈəʊki/
noun
a form of entertainment, offered typically by bars and clubs, in which people take turns to sing popular songs into a microphone over pre-recorded backing tracks.

Y/N - your name

I put my shoes on as I stand up and look at myself in the mirror. I sigh in satisfaction and smile. I hear my phone start ringing as I grab it from my bedside table. I answer the FaceTime and see my friend, Kathy's, smiling face. "Hey you." I say as I grab my purse and start putting the necessary things in it.

"Hey. From what I can see, you look stunning friend." She said as I smiled. "Thanks love. You too." I said as she smiled. She turned the camera on the phone and faced it towards the mirror. She did this so I was able to see her outfit. She was wearing a pair of black jeans and a pink long sleeve shirt that had a low v-neck. "Wow. You go sis." I said as she started dancing.

I laugh at her as she hasn't changed for the last 10 years that I've known her. We met back in high school in grade 11, when we were both 17. I was new to the school and was getting bullied because of my looks back then. I was overweight and the people in Australia were ruthless. She was the only person who stood up for me and helped me on the journey of weight loss. After I finished packing my handbag, I ran to the mirror with my phone and did the same as she did. "Oh my Y/N! Wow, everyone is going to be looking at you." She said as I smiled. I was wearing a dark blue jumpsuit with black heels.

We were going to a house party but knowing the people there, we would be singing karaoke in a matter of minutes there. "I'll see you in about 10 minutes." I said as she nodded and waved goodbye to me. I said my goodbye and ended the call. I headed to my car and jumped in. I double checked that I had everything I need along with some salad that I had to bring. I started the car and drove to the house.

I arrived and saw a few cars parked outside. I thought it was just gonna be a few of my colleagues there. I jumped out of my car as my colleague, Jessica, came running to me. "Hey! I saw your car and had to come and say hi before you came inside!" She screeched as I gave a small smile. I didn't mind Jessica but she was a very materialistic person and I wasn't a fan of those types of people.

"Hey Jess." I said as I hugged her. "I'm so sorry that there's so many people here but Sebastian invited a few of his racing friends. Maybe you can get in there." She said as she wiggled her eyebrows. She was dating Sebastian Vettel from Formula 1 which I didn't mind as he was a very nice guy but I knew, deep down, that she was using him for his money and fame. It fueled her materialistic expectations.

I smiled at her comment but cringed on the inside. I knew she meant that I should have a one night stand with one of them but that wasn't gonna happen. I'm not that type of person who just sleeps around with guys. "Come in already!" She shouted as I followed behind with my salad in hand. I walked in as I saw everyone standing outside. We walked outside, after I put my salad on the kitchen counter, and I waved at everyone, not really wanting to say hello to each and every person there.

Since I wasn't a major F1 fan, I didn't know many of the drivers that were there. I did, however, know a few of my colleagues that were there and obviously Kathy who was already sitting at a table by herself. I gave everyone a wave as I walked towards her. I gave her a big hug and she sighed. I sat down opposite her as she smiled at me, "You took so long. I was starting to mentally kill myself because of Jessica's voice." She said as we laughed.

She looked behind me and giggled. "What?" I asked as I was about to look back but earned a smack on my hand by Kathy. "Ouch!" "Don't look back dumbass! Daniel Ricciardo is looking at you." She said as I nodded. "Which one is he again?" I asked as she rolled her eyes. "You really have to start watching F1." She shook her head as she grabbed her phone. She showed me a picture as I nod. "Ohh, him. I didn't see him when I came in. I kinda just waved at everyone. He's seriously cute though." I said as she laughed.

"Go for it! He clearly thinks you're cute too." She said as I shrugged. "I don't know Kath. I'm super shy." I said as she laughed. "Well, you better get over that as you're gonna be singing soon." She said as she pointed behind me. I looked at where she was pointing and saw Jessica setting up the karaoke machine. "Christ." I said as she tapped the mic. "Let's get started!" She screamed in the microphone as I cringed. Kathy laughed at me as I focused on Jess.

"So I love karaoke so we are gonna all sing okay. Every single one of us okay! Thank includes you Y/N!" She shouted as she pointed at me and laughed. Her laugh went straight through me as I shuddered. Man her voice was really something else but her laugh was 10 times worse. I go a deep red as everyone looks at me. "Y/N, must I fan you?" Kathy asked as I smacked her hand. "I'll start. Sebi! Join me!" She shouted as I could see Sebastian cringe. Poor guy.

After many songs sang by very talentless people when it came to singing, Jessica called me to come and sing. "Please Jess, not tonight." I said as she giggled, clearly already drunk. "Nope. You have to." She said as she pulled me away from my seat. I looked back at Kathy as she lifted her glass at me. "Nothing I can do love." She said as I rolled my eyes. She pushed me lightly to the karaoke machine as I sigh.

I look through the songs and settle for Dancing Queen by ABBA. The song started until I heard a shout, "I have to join!" I look in that direction as I see Daniel run to me. Everyone laughed, including me, as he stood next to me. "I'm Daniel." He said as I smiled. "Y/N." I said as we started our song.

For once, I didn't feel super embarrassed as Daniel really tried to make me feel comfortable. He made an absolute fool out of himself which was not only nice of him as it took all the attention off of me but also very cute. After the song, everyone clapped for us as we handed the mic to, as I now know, Lando and Carlos so they could sing some Spanish song that they really wanted to sing.

"Thank you. That was fun." I said as he laughed. "I know. You see, I'm just such a funny guy." He joked as I laughed. "I should get back to Kathy." I said as I pointed at Kathy, who had a smirk on her face. "Of course beautiful." He said as I blushed and looked down. "Thanks again." I said as he shook his head. "Not an issue at all." He said as I smiled.

I started walking back to Kathy. I look at her and see her giving me a stern look. I knew what she meant. I sigh and look back at Daniel. I wasn't gonna ruin this opportunity of me possibly getting his number. "Daniel?" I asked as I walked towards him. He turned around and gave me a smile.

"Back already? Want to sing Super Trouper this time?" He asked as I chuckled. "I know this might be weird to you but I think you're a really nice guy and really good looking and was wondering if I could get your number?" I asked as I felt my cheeks heat up. "Aren't you a cutie." He said as I laughed. "Of course. I think you're very sweet and obviously beautiful." He said as I looked into his brown eyes.

I smiled at him as I grabbed my phone from my jumpsuit pocket and handed it to him. He handed his phone to me as I punched my number in. He handed me back my phone as I handed his back and looked at his contact name. "Dancing queen?" I asked as I looked up and saw his childish smile. "Young and sweet, only 17." He sang as he started dancing away as I smiled at him. I turned around as I saw Kathy watching us, with a huge smile on her face. "I feel like a proud mother." She said as I rolled my eyes and sat back down with her.

*****