(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟏) somewhere in manchester

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

"DO YOU HAVE TO GO AWAY AGAIN?"

Athena turned over and stared at him. She felt regret form inside her immediately. The way he stared up at her, that look in his eyes. What was it about that look in his eyes?

"You know I do" Athena smiled gently, "I told you—"

"You don't even like working there"

"That's not true" Athena frowned, "anyway this is the important year, remember I told you... this is why I took the job in the first place"

"Because of this boy?"

"Yes Ben" Athena smiled, "I'm his godmother and I've never met him... well since he was one. He doesn't even know who I am and—"

"This is the only way your manipulative boss will let you see him?"

"This is the only way I can look after him... like his parents would have wanted"

Ben nodded as he wrapped his arms tighter around her. Athena didn't really want to leave. However he had been wrong. Athena did like working at Hogwarts, she just hated admitting it because that would mean her sister was right. She hated when Aurora was right.

The September sun was pouring through the window as the two of them lay there. Athena preferred to stay at Ben's house than her own. After the war, moorside cottage had become her official home. Her parents didn't have to be in hiding anymore but they'd enjoyed staying in northern Italy. Athena couldn't really blame them. When they were at home they'd often stay at Rosemary cottage despite the memories attached.

Athena didn't like being at moorside cottage because it reminded her of a time that she'd moved on from. Everything had memories attached even nine years on. She was different now, she'd grown up and she liked to think she'd moved on. However moving on was a lot easier without being surrounded by old nightmares.

Therefore, Athena preferred being at Ben's apartment. She'd spent nearly the entire summer there and she'd loved every minute of it. It was away from London and instead in a city called Manchester which Athena had come to love.

You're probably wondering, who is Ben? Well that's a good question.

Athena hadn't intended to meet Ben, she hadn't intended to meet anyone at all. After she realised that the war wasn't over she realised that the narrative of her life was set out and she'd learnt that war didn't leave room for love.

However in the summer of 86, Athena found herself visiting her parents in Italy with Aurora. Northern Italy was one of the most beautiful picturesque places in the world and she was sure that after the war was over, she wanted to live there herself.

One day as she had been walking around a small market feeling her full northern Italian fantasy, she'd bumped into someone while placing oranges into her woven bag. She'd been feeling like the main character in some beautiful novel and bumping into Ben just completed this.