(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟐𝟓) caught in action

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

"YOU'RE GETTING A LOT BETTER THEO" Athena smiled, lowering her wand after finishing their occlumency lesson, "you should be proud of yourself, you held me off for ages there"

"I still don't think it's good enough" Theodore shrugged, "but I'm glad I'm getting better, thanks for teaching me still even after..."

"Yeah don't worry about it" Athena forced a smile, making haste to pass over the idea of her mental state the previous week.

Turns out forcing optimism wasn't the worst thing in the world. Not only could she avoid arguments but it also meant people stopped feeling worried for her. Athena didn't like the impression that everyone believed she was falling apart. Of course she knew better. It would take a lot more than the image of an archway to break Athena.

She wanted to continue on as usual with the occlumency lessons, the regular chess games and having conversations as she normally would. It was obvious that everyone else in the house felt as though a weight had been lifted. Athena knew her negative attitude had been wearing off on the others simply trying to stay happy and she was glad the rain clouds had cleared at least temporarily.

"If the death eaters do find a way to get to me" Theodore began slowly, "honestly, do you think I'll be able to keep them out? Will this stop them from putting the imperious curse on me?"

"Well having a clear mind and breaking free of the imperious curse are two completely different things" Athena began, "stopping someone from reading your mind is all about having something blank there but fighting off the imperious curse requires another level of mental strength—"

"Can you do it?" Theodore asked quickly.

"Yeah I can" she nodded. Athena was cast back to the time when the imperious curse was placed on her. It was a defence against the dark arts lesson and for all she knew at the time, a simple demonstration. However turns out it was a lot more than that and was all a plot to find out more about her prophecy. Athena had no idea how she managed to fight the curse off but she was more than happy that she did.

"Can you teach me?" Theodore asked eagerly.

"I can try" Athena frowned, "but it's not as simple as occlumency, I didn't have a teacher for this so I'm not sure what advice to give you"

"Any would be good" Theodore assured her, looking slightly desperate.

"Theodore, is there something you aren't telling me?" Athena asked cautiously. She could see that there was something deeper under his eyes, almost a fear.

"No course not" he shook his head a bit too quickly, "it's just... after last time with the death eaters I want to be prepared. The worst thing would be if they gained control of my mind again. I don't want to ever have to experience that again"