(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟏𝟎) into the darkness

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

"YOU SHOULD HAVE LET ME DIE" Kennedy muttered under her breath, "you can't save everyone Rena"

"Even if I let you die, Bellatrix still found me. There might not have been another way out"

Athena didn't know where she was. It was dark and cold. She couldn't even see her hands in front of her face. Panic had taken over as soon as she'd seen Kennedy with the knife to her throat. Athena had felt she'd had no choice.

So now they were sat in some cellar. Athena had been stunned on the journey and when she'd woke up all the light seemed to have vanished from the world. She felt like screaming from rage and fear. How could this have happened? Remus and Athena had ensured this wouldn't happen when they went into hiding. How could she have forgotten that Kennedy knew the location of Remus' cottage?

She felt frustrated with herself for opening the door in the first place. Remus wouldn't have forgotten his key and even if he had, why would he have come back for it? It's not as though Athena would have been going anywhere.

Athena rested her head on the stone wall behind her and looked up to what she imagined to be the ceiling. For all she knew the ceiling could be miles away or there might not be one at all. That would certainly explain the cold. However night can't have fallen this fast. Athena wasn't sure how long she'd been out but she didn't want to think about it. She didn't want to imagine Remus sat at home alone worried about her, terrified even. He'd expect the worse and he'd be right to think that way.

She hadn't even considered letting Kennedy die for a second but now as she sat there realising that she may not get out of here, she wondered what would have happened if she did. Kennedy already had a life sentence on her head but that didn't make any of this right. Who cared if Athena couldn't save everyone, it didn't mean she would stop trying.

"There's always a way out" Kennedy murmured, "you're invincible in a fight... you could have just absorbed some spells and... I don't know, do whatever you're good at"

"It's not that simple" Athena replied as she placed a hand over her stomach.

"What do you mean it's not that simple?" Kennedy asked coldly. From her voice, Athena could tell that she wasn't sitting too far away. The echoes suggested the room was large but Athena didn't want to get up and have a look around. She wanted to crawl into one of the corners and complain about how this had happened.

"I didn't want to risk absorbing magic" Athena admitted, "it's too dangerous now"

"What's changed?" Kennedy mumbled stupidly.

"Are you serious?" Athena scoffed, "I'm pregnant Kenny"

"You're what?" Kennedy exclaimed, she'd obviously jumped to her feet because Athena could hear scrambling footsteps of someone trying to find themselves in the dark, "since when? Why didn't you say?"