(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟐𝟑) an abundance of rain

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

IT WAS RAINING WHEN ATHENA APPERATED to the small Scottish town. She cast off the rain with a simple spell as she walked over to the telephone box. Her Friday had been filled with boredom and lacklustre lessons that hadn't allowed her to share her passion or love of the subject. Instead she'd been repeating words from a book, feeling like a copy and pasted version of her sister. Something she'd never hoped to be.

Ducking inside of the telephone box, Athena leant against the glass wall and let out a large sigh that steamed up the pane in front of her. She stared at the crackling condensation and wondered why she wasn't exited to pick up the phone. Usually this was the best part of her week. Hearing Ben talk to her was like taking her hair down after a long day, like closing your eyes when the light gets too bright.

He anchored her back to reality, often lifted her spirits and reminded her that she wasn't alone anymore. However now as Athena stared at the receiver she didn't feel the prick in her fingertips or the spark in her heart. Yet she couldn't turn back, she felt a certain pressure to talk to him. He didn't just help her, it worked both ways.

Picking up the phone, Athena moved her fingers over the numbers as she always did. Punching in the correct order, the order that had been imprinted into her brain. The number she couldn't forget. The receiver rang, the sound echoed throughout the girls mind as she stood waiting.

Athena expected the familiar click, the one she was used to hearing. She'd then hear the bustle of background noise or the static of bad connection. However what she hadn't been expecting was the dull faded noise of a failed call.

Taking the phone slowly from her face, she stared at it as though expecting to see something wrong with it. Her first indication was to look for an answer that wasn't the most obvious. However there was no smoke rising from the machine, no shattered glass or burnt out wires.

Athena placed the phone back where it fell perfectly into place. Everything was working exactly how it always did but as the rain hammered against the glass box around her she got the strangely gutting feeling that he hadn't picked up the phone.

Ben always picked up the phone, he was well renowned for it. Never had they not talked on a Friday, since their first call it had become routine. They knew not to make plans around this time, they knew to be there yet now as Athena stood alone in the rain she realised that for the first time ever, he hadn't been there to pick up.

Trying to quell her worries, she walked back out into the rain and didn't even bother to cast a spell of protection. Maybe he was in trouble, lying somewhere unable to reach his phone. Maybe he was tired or ill, slept through the dull and repetitive ring. Maybe he'd had plans he just couldn't cancel, like a job opportunity or a family emergency. Maybe he just didn't want to talk to her.

Athena really hoped that her last guess wasn't correct as she turned on her heel and vanished again. She hadn't even been looking forward to speaking to him, she felt stupid about that now. She wondered whether the universe had heard her cry and taken it the wrong way. Now she'd spend the night lying awake wondering where he was, wondering if it had simply slipped his mind.