(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟐𝟑) basilisk

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

A STAFF MEETING WAS CALLED BY Athena immediately as she made it back up to the castle. Her hands were still shaking, her mind still whirring for answers. Dumbledore being gone left a gaping hole in the school, leaving plenty of room for many more attacks.

Athena felt stuck as she stood in his office, looking around for some clue that him remaining would have gave them any hope. She had hoped that he would get to the bottom of this before the inevitable moment when the school had to close down.

She'd never really doubted Dumbledore. Athena hated him for many reasons, she believed him to be selfish and manipulative however she never underestimated him.

Athena knew of his intelligence and power, often he seemed like a solution to most problems. He was a much needed presence over the school and without him there, Athena felt as though the fear was just going to keep increasing.

The teachers came in one by one, each looking as worried as the next. Meetings were never good things anymore. Even Snape looked slightly anxious as he took his seat.

Athena wasn't sure how to break the news. She knew that there was little hope left even with the knowledge that Dumbledore was still there. Now he was gone, Athena was struggling to think of any idea of how this was going to get better.

Once Trelawney had taken her seat, everyone was here and Athena became painfully aware that all of the attention was on her. She didn't like the fact that she had to be the one to break the news. Lucius Malfoy had messed everything up, none of this was anything to do with her.

"Dumbledore's gone" Athena sighed out. There were frowns of confusion and gasps of shock. McGonagall stared at Athena with knowing eyes.

"What do you mean gone?" Lockhart asked,

"The governors signed a request for removal, all twelve of them apparently... he's been voted out"

"What?" Sprout gasped, "how could they possibly think that this was the correct decision?"

"I know" Athena nodded, "of course Fudge tried to argue against it however it's not up to him— it's not up to any of us"

"That's it then" Aurora muttered, "we'll have to close the school, without Dumbledore what hope do we have?"

"Athena" McGonagall looked up from her clasped eyes, "you said you knew what the monster was?"

All eyes were on her again, under a lot of pressure, Athena found herself struggling to find the words to say.

"I— yes I think I do" she nodded, "I noticed that... everyone who was found was found next to something odd"

"I noticed the same thing!" Lockhart brought up with a wide grin. Thankfully everyone ignored him.