(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟓) the permission slip

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

THE WORDS THAT THEY'D SPOKEN continued to revolve in her mind again and again as she lay awake. Seeing his face again. Maybe she'd expected him to look completely different. Would that have been easier for her?

He may have looked older but it was impossible to say that he'd changed. From the way that he stood to the jumper that he donned, it was evident that he was the same person she'd fallen in love with all of those years ago.

Athena wasn't going to hide anymore. Aurora had been right, she didn't have to do that. She'd seen him now and some of her fear disappeared. She was angry at him however she couldn't fault the fact that he'd looked saddened.

He'd become so worked up about how he felt about losing her, Athena wondered if he'd ever considered that he might have never lost her at all. They'd never know because he jumped the gun and made the decision to leave her alone.

Did he understand the weight of his actions? Athena didn't believe that he could understand. He'd admitted himself to be selfish and she agreed that his actions were never going to have benefitting consequences towards her.

Athena wondered whether it would have been worse for him not to care. If she'd look him in the eyes and saw clear evidence that he had moved on, would that have been easier for her?

A large part of her wished for that. She didn't like the emotion that he'd gazed at her with. She'd seen the almost longing glance through the shadows, the same one that beat in her steady heart.

She wished that he'd stared at her with some sense of unfamiliarity, maybe then it wouldn't have been so hard to hate him.

Athena hadn't wanted to yell at him. Even though he deserved it, she felt as though she had been yelling at a puppy. His lost eyes were upset and she'd started to question why she was yelling at him at all.

He had that effect on her. Remus still had a hold over her emotions, control over her heart. Athena hated this idea more than anything. She wanted to wash him away with a long shower.

Athena didn't get the same reaction upon seeing him again at breakfast the next day. Their eyes collided and she could see him in the full light of the morning.

From the shadows under his eyes she guessed he'd slept as much as she had. Athena had been right to assume that his face had become harsher with age however there was a certain softness to it reflecting emotion behind the eyes.

Both Remus and Snape were eyeing her carefully as she entered the hall. Snape with a worried look that was shadowed by his constant frown. He searched for answers of her presence here. After all, Athena had been so determined to hide away earlier in the week.

Remus stared at her as though reaching for the forgiveness he obviously wanted so badly. It was a shame that he'd never get any.

☽☽☽