(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟏) eternity isn't so bad

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

FOREVER. Athena was terrified of infinity except when she was with him. Immortality was a curse unless he was by her side. Life didn't seem so dark, the future may be fogged yet it was less so just by holding his hand.

Remus was an addiction that Athena had never quite surfaced from. She dreamt about him in her waking moments. His smile would light her way through her darkest times even when he wasn't beside her to tell her that everything was going to be ok.

Things were different now. The kiss hadn't felt forced, she'd remembered every time they'd kissed before, flashing in front of her eyes in a slideshow of poetic beauty.

The idea that he'd been living his life this entire time, still out there without her was shaking her mind. The time they'd lost felt like a space that Athena didn't want to venture back to. They'd both been sat in the waiting room as if knowing that this moment was inevitable.

Soulmates.

That's what Athena and Remus were. Always dragged back together no matter what events tried to pull them apart. She loved him endlessly, this was never a question in her mind even when she wanted it to be.

She heard a thousand symphonies in his voice and he was awoken by the look of love in her eyes. A perfect picture of what love should be like. The beginning, the middle, the end. They'd always be here.

"I love you" Remus smiled and Athena was finally glad to hear it. She'd imagined these words many times in an abundance of different voices to accumulate some feeling inside her heart that felt anything like what it had done twelve years ago. This was it. The perfect recreation of the soft bass tones because it wasn't recreated at all. This was Remus stood in front of her looking barely five years older than what he had done. It created the illusion that barely any time had passed at all partnered with the fact that the kiss had felt like a minute lost.

"I love you too"

Athena remembered what happiness felt like in these moments when she let Remus take her hand and guide her towards the house. The troubles of the last few months were wiped from her mind like a cleared hard drive. Of course the tangled emotions and worries about Sirius and Theodore remained however Athena was now overcome with a new sense of appreciation for her own life where it hadn't been there before.

She loved the cottage not just because it belonged to Remus but also because it reminded her of images she'd had in dreams years ago as a child.

"One day I'm going to live in a fairy cottage in the middle of nowhere... it'll be perfect"

"Am I invited?"

"Obviously you are" the younger Athena laughed "we're going to spend the rest of our lives together Remus"

They may have been merely ten at the time yet the memory stuck in her mind as though it had been only a few years ago. Sometimes Athena forgot her age, forgot the meaning of time and the fact that it had been moving rapidly all these years and not just paused for the time being.