(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟔) the chamber of secrets

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

ATHENA STARED AT THE FLICKERING CANDLE IN front of her. The flame was close to going out. She'd lit two of them however one had withstood the other. The flame danced in its waxy coffin, pointed up towards the ceiling.

She watched for another minute before it happened. The flame went out, leaving a swirl of dark smoke pouring out of the top. She breathed in the air and lay back into her seat to allow the darkness to consume her.

It was Halloween. The 31st of October. The day of doom, of death. It's bloody history stretched over centuries branding the holiday with connotations of ghosts and gloom.

However for Athena, the history stretched back to 1981 and no further. The day that Lily and James had died. She watched the two candles, now extinguished, as they settled into the wooden desk below now smaller than they had been before.

Sometimes, Athena forgot that Halloween marked the day that she lost her friends. Occasionally, Athena would just get lost in the holiday. She'd always enjoyed Halloween, the parties, the feasts, the idea of dressing up, of scaring others.

However the thought always plagued her mind. Like her own ghost following her around. As the candles burned she swear she heard whispers in her mind, skating across her brain until she was no longer what was real and what was a lie.

Athena had watched the flames burn for an hour and was now sure that her aroma was full of smoke. However she always burnt the candles. It was giving light in darker times just as they always had.

The feast was in an hour yet this year she was taking the memorial harder than she could admit. Her mind was falling down into the darkness again, slipping like water through her hands and there was nothing she could do to stop it.

Ben had been her anchor to stop her from going off the rails but now she felt as though this weight was doing nothing but drag her down into the depths of the ocean.

Athena had enjoyed convincing herself that things were only getting better yet now she was at a dead end with nowhere to go. Her future looked dark, maybe even as dark as her past.

She was stuck in the present, completely fretting about everything happening to her. Athena had no way to go and this had caused her anxieties to take over. How could she ever be ok anymore? Where was the hope? When had she lost it?

Recalling the feeling of when she stood on the astronomy tower, Athena wondered if any light could shine through the collecting shadows of the path ahead. It seemed unlikely. She'd lost that dream of the future, the one she usually held onto.

Athena looked up, seeing the dark that she'd been sitting in. She wasn't helping herself. It wasn't as though she had a way to help herself. There wasn't necessarily an answer anymore. Not one that presented itself to her anyway.