(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟐𝟎) the gateway

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

THE WORLD AROUND HER was weirdly white. Athena couldn't adjust her eyes to the brightness as she sat up and looked around. She didn't know where she was and for a moment she had no idea what had happened.

However there was no mistaking that her sister was sat in front of her looking concerned and annoyed. Considering that Athena had just been crying over her sisters body, it felt disconcerting seeing her again. Alive.

Athena was starting to realise that this was an afterlife, a place to go after death. She'd never believed life would go on. Athena had always assumed life was all there was in the world, that at the end she would simply meet a dead end. Maybe it would have been better that way. Eternity scared her and the idea she now had endless time to think about what she had done. The regrets were already slipping in.

"Rory" Athena sighed eventually, getting to her feet and throwing her arms around her sister. It felt better than any hug ever had before since Athena had been under the impression that she would never get to experience this again.

"You're not supposed to be here" Aurora muttered under her breath as she hugged her sister back.

"Neither are you" Athena frowned.

"I'm dead, of course I'm supposed to be here" Aurora replied. She was obviously upset that her sister was there. That was no surprise. It seemed she was in denial too. They were both dead, otherwise they wouldn't be here.

"I'm dead Rory" Athena sighed, "I... made a sacrifice to save Harry"

Athena raised her hand but now looking at her palm she noticed that her brand was gone. She supposed this was the same with all small injuries and blemishes. She'd already noted that Aurora was missing the small scar on the side of her face she'd had for years.

"There's more to this" Aurora shook her head, "there's a lot to explain Rena... but there's some people here who want to see you"

Athena looked up in surprise. Her heart had started beating faster now. Aurora had turned and was starting to walk across the ridiculously polished floor. Looking around, Aurora couldn't help but think that this looked a lot like a train station. There were lower parts in the floor where a train could have easily rushed past. The columns reaching to the sky seemed as though they would be made of stone if this world hadn't replaced them with shining marble.

"Who's here?" Athena asked instinctively as she hurried to catch up with her sister, still staring around in amazement.

"Who do you want to be here?" Aurora replied simply.

She pondered the question. There were so many people she wanted to be here. So many people that she had lost. Athena didn't want to get her hopes up. Years ago she'd dreamt about seeing her friends again but now the possibility seemed crazy.