(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟐𝟒) the beginning of the war

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

DUMBLEDORE STOOD UP. He stared down at Barty Crouch and Tessa Halliday for a moment with disgust on his face. Then he raised his wand once more and ropes flew out of it, ropes that twisted themselves around the two of them, binding them tightly. He turned to Professor McGonagall.

"Minerva, could I ask you to stand guard here while I take Harry upstairs?"

"Of course," said Professor McGonagall. She looked slightly nauseous, as though she had just watched someone being sick. However, when she drew out her wand and pointed it at Barty Crouch, her hand was quite steady.

"Severus" - Dumbledore turned to Snape - "please tell Madam Pomfrey to come down here; we need to get Alastor Moody into the hospital wing. Then go down into the grounds, find Cornelius Fudge, and bring him up to this office. He will undoubtedly want to question Crouch himself. Tell him I will be in the hospital wing in half an hour's time if he needs me."

Snape nodded silently and swept out of the room.

"Athena and Remus I'd like to to accompany me with Harry, you'll find there's someone else here who wants to see you both"

The two of them nodded courteously as Remus took ahold of Athena's hand. She was still shaken from hearing the tales of the two death eaters, of knowing that Tessa had been following through her life now for four years and she'd had no idea. It placed her on edge as she wondered what else she wasn't aware of.

"Harry?" Dumbledore said gently.

Harry got up and swayed again. Athena looked at him in worry. She believed that people often forgot how young he was. To have been through so much and seen so many terrible things at age fourteen, it would scar him indefinitely now. Athena only wished she had been able to do something about this sooner but now she feared it might be too late.

"I want you to come up to my office first. Harry," he said quiedy as they headed up the passageway. "Sirius is waiting for us there."

"Professor," Harry mumbled, "where are Mr. and Mrs. Diggory?"

"They are with Professor Sprout," said Dumbledore. His voice, which had been so calm throughout the interrogation of Barty Crouch, shook very slightly for the first time. "She was Head of Cedric's house, and knew him best."

They had reached the stone gargoyle. Dumbledore gave the password, it sprang aside, and the four of them went up the moving spiral staircase to the oak door. Dumbledore pushed it open. Sirius was standing there. His face was white and gaunt as it had been when he had escaped Azkaban. In one swift moment, he had crossed the room.

"Harry, are you all right? I knew it - I knew something like this - what happened?"

His hands shook as he helped Harry into a chair in front of the desk.