(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟏𝟑) draco's mistake

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

"SNAPE!" Athena yelled, storming into the defence against the dark arts office and slamming the door behind her. Severus Snape was sat behind his desk marking work in red quill. He seemed to be scribbling out a lot of the answers and Athena guessed this was probably a Gryffindor's work.

"How can I help you?" Snape asked in a monotone voice.

"Do you know what's happened?" She asked coldly.

"You'll have to be a bit more specific" Snape continued, looking up from his work now with a blank stare. "If Dumbledore has sent you, I stand by what I said"

"What?" Athena frowned, "you stand by what you said about what?"

Snape paused, evidently realising they were on completely different wavelengths. He picked up his quill again and continued to scribble out answers.

"It's not your business"

"Dumbledore included me in this plot too you know" Athena glared, "if somethings happened, if somethings changed—"

"Nothings changed I just expressed my distaste for the way he wants things to end. I'm not best pleased that I have to split my soul in half in order to rise to his ideals. Now why are you actually here?"

"Right" Athena muttered, realising that she had gone off topic, "Ron Weasley is in the hospital wing, he's been poisoned"

"Oh how terrible" Snape drawled sarcastically, "how did this happen? I think it's nearly impossible for someone to poison themselves but in the case of Weasley—"

"The poison wasn't meant for Ron, it was meant for Dumbledore"

Snape paused again. He'd realised exactly what was going on now. A small amount of colour drained out of his face as he stared up at Athena but his unemotional glance remained the same.

"It was Draco?"

"You're supposed to prevent things like this from happening!" Athena exclaimed, "Dumbledore told you to help Draco so that students wouldn't get caught in the crossfire and now this!"

"Draco denied my help" Snape sighed, "I talked to him of course but he would not hear it. He seemed to think that he would be better off on his own. The dark Lord is relying on him you see and Draco sees this as the highest honour. He is scared of what will happen to him if the dark lord finds out he's being assisted by me"

"Well I don't care if Draco is being stubborn" Athena snapped, "you'll just have to try a bit harder. Surely by now he has realised that he cannot do this on his own. His first two attempts have failed worse than I could have imagined. If Katie and Ron had died because of him—"

"But they haven't"

"They could have easily!" Athena exclaimed, "all because he is too stupid to see to the consequences. How did he think that Katie was going to sneak the necklace into the castle? Did he really think giving the mead to Slughorn to give to Dumbledore was a good idea? Anyone who really knew Slughorn would know that he'd be too greedy to pass on that mead"