(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟓) the cursed necklace

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

ATHENA FOUND IT DIFFICULT TO GET UP the following day, and the day after that, and the day after that. Her mind was swarmed with information she couldn't divulge. She couldn't tell anyone about this. Dumbledore had never specified that the information she learnt was secret but she gathered from the lateness of the meeting and the tone in which he told it that only Snape and Athena should know what would happen to him.

She would never feel sorry for Dumbledore. There were so many reasons she disagreed with him, so many angered words she wanted to shout at him before it was too late. He had often been a source of blame for her. Sirius going to jail, Harry growing up with the Dursley's, Theodore being stuck with the death eaters. Where there was a problem, Athena could usually find a way to pin it on Dumbledore.

The idea of him dying didn't give her great sadness. Maybe she was cruel for this as he had accomplished much despite his faults. However, she wouldn't miss him when he was gone. She wouldn't miss being dragged to his office to find out more horrible news, she wouldn't miss his condescending tone or the cryptic way that he talked. She wouldn't miss the fact that he always knew more than he was letting on.

However she would miss his knowledge in the order, she would miss his expertise on the war. How were they expected to win this battle when Dumbledore was gone. Voldemort would find it easy to take over now. Hogwarts would be his first target but of course Dumbledore had already seen that coming. Snape would no doubt lead the school. Voldemort would trust him after he killed Dumbledore.

This was another thing that made her blood run cold. Why was she the one who had to know of this internal plot? When everyone turned against Snape she would have to be the one who knew, the one who understood. She would have to lie again and there was nothing that worried her more than the consequence of a lie.

As she walked around day after day in a mood that could challenge even the saddest of onlookers. Her mind was cast to Draco Malloy. Athena was required to care for all students, to look out for them no matter what. Athena had never cared for Draco. Maybe this was simply because of her terrible experiences with his father or the rivalry he had sparked with Harry from the offset. She'd always thought him cruel, a bully, a copy of his father.

Now she was not so sure. Draco was his own person and whatever terrible attitude he'd donned before, he didn't deserve this. He was being punished for the failures of his father. Only sixteen and burdened with killing the most well renowned wizard of all time. A wizard even Voldemort was unable to kill.

He was being set up to fail, it was clear to see. Even with Snape's help, it would be a wonder if the boy didn't break, if he made it through the panic. Would he even accept Draco's help? Athena was unsure if Voldemort had permitted him to accept help from anyone.

There was nothing she could do about any of this. Dumbledore had instructed Snape to help Draco and to kill Dumbledore. Of course Athena could have never done either of these things. The only reason for her involvement was the weird connection she had with the war. Dumbledore expected her to lead the order when he was gone. Athena didn't think this was something she was able to do.