(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟖) the goblet of fire

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

THE NEXT DAY Athena never once entered the great hall without seeing an abundance of people there talking in excitement about the goblet of fire. She'd decided to stay well away however she'd heard tales of younger students trying to use age potions in order to get past Dumbledore's age line (the Weasley twins included).

Athena supposed she didn't mind which student got chosen to represent the school. It was an amazing opportunity for anyone (however she was secretly hoping that it might be a Ravenclaw).

It was all anyone could talk about. Even Aurora had stopped marking and talked rapidly about what she believed the trials would be. No one actually knew except for the headmasters of each school, Ludo and Barty along with those needed to organise them.

Athena had never seen Aurora so animated about anything except for school work and marking and it made a nice change to see her excited about the goblet of fire. By that evening, she was ready fifteen minutes early ready to go down to the hall and watch the choosing of the students.

She wouldn't admit it but Athena was very excited herself. For all the time she had worked here there had been nothing like this in the school. It made an interesting change and she certainly couldn't complain about the school being boring anymore, at this point it was far from it.

Athena and Aurora made their way down together with linked arms, passing students who were bragging that they would definitely be picked. Athena wondered whether it was random or whether the goblet really had a mind of its own to pick the right candidate. She hoped the latter to be the case.

They took their seats, casting eyes over the full great hall. The mixture of red, black and pale blue robes was a refreshing sight. It was even nicer to see that a lot of them were spread out, making friends within the other schools.

For once there was silence, no one wanted to interrupt the announcement that Dumbledore was about to make. Athena was glad of this, she didn't want anything to postpone finding out the champions.

"Well, the goblet is almost ready to make its decision," said Dumbledore. "I estimate that it requires one more minute. Now, when the champions' names are called, I would ask them please to come up to the top of the Hall, walk along the staff table, and go through into the next chamber" - he indicated the door behind the staff table - "where they will be receiving their first instructions."

He took out his wand and gave a great sweeping wave with it; at once, all the candles except those inside the carved pumpkins were extinguished, plunging them into a state of semidarkness. The Goblet of Fire now shone more brightly than anything in the whole Hall, the sparkling bright, bluey-whiteness of the flames almost painful on the eyes. Everyone watched, waiting....A few people kept checking their watches...

Aurora was actually gripping Athena's arm which definitely wasn't like her. Athena fought the urge to laugh, she hadn't seen her sister so excited for a long time. The two of them sat close together and Aurora gasped loudly at movement from the goblet.