(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟏𝟕) life and death

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

ATHENA STAYED IN THE CAVE FOR A LITTLE over three hours. She didn't feel tired or in any desperate rush to get back. She just wanted to stay with Sirius, Kennedy and Theodore. She wanted to discuss everything that they had been figuring out. Turns out, they'd caught wind that something was wrong a while before Athena had. She felt awfully stupid about this, she'd been the one up at the castle after all.

At some point near three in the morning, the fire started to flicker and Sirius was yawning twice a minute. She could tell that it was time to leave but she didn't exactly want to. The castle didn't feel safe anymore with the threat of two possible death eaters being right under their nose.

"I'll walk you down to Hogsmeade" Kennedy sighed as she gathered herself to her feet, "it's hard to get down there on your own in the dark, easy to fall off the side"

Athena nodded lightly unsure whether this was the case or whether Kennedy simply wanted to tell Athena again that she shouldn't tell Sirius the truth about her condition.

The two girls pulled themselves out of the cave and back into the cold and dark night. Kennedy led the way, poised as though she had done this many times before.

"Where are you staying then?" Athena asked, "you don't look as though you're living in a cave"

"I move around a lot" Kennedy explained, "it's risky staying in one place, I've met some people over the last decade who've helped me"

"Right" Athena nodded, almost forgetting that Kennedy had been living her life this entire time. It felt weird that she'd been in the world over these years and Athena had never even crossed paths with her.

"I thought you were dead" Athena stated, "until I heard from you... I just assumed you hadn't made it"

"I would have thought the same" Kennedy replied, "I knew you'd make it, you're back with Remus then?"

"Yeah"

"After he left you?" Kennedy asked almost judgementally.

"I spent enough time feeling angry about that, I'm old enough now to know that there's no time to fight with those that you love. We were bound to get back together, there's no point postponing that because of what happened"

"I'm happy for you" Kennedy forced a smile, "really I am, I knew you'd always do well for yourself, I'm glad you found Remus again... I can't imagine how hard it must have been for you to lose everyone"

"I lost you too" Athena pointed out, "I didn't have to lose you"

"I was waiting for this" Kennedy sighed.

"Waiting for what?"

"For you to tell me I didn't have to leave, that I could have come back. Are you upset?"