(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟐𝟑) to life and to love

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

TELLING HER PARENTS THAT AURORA HAD DIED was a lot harder than Athena had expected it to be. She could barely get the words out. They caught in her throat, lingering in the air with the tears in her eyes. Saying it out loud made it real, made it irreversible.

Athena wasn't sure when she'd stop thinking that her sister was going to walk through the front door. She would watch it out of the corner of her eye, her hand around he locket that now contained no special power.

She couldn't bring herself to change the photo anymore. The locket would stay quiet forever now. Athena liked carrying her sister around with her. She loved opening the locket to see Aurora's smile again. It comforted her knowing she was still there, watching over her just as she said she would.

Athena hadn't slept that night despite having fought a war the night before. Everything felt different now. She could hear her parents crying from the other room which completely broke her heart. She sat up with her head against the wall with silent tears running down her cheeks.

She was lost without Aurora. Her sister had guided her through everything. If Athena ever had a problem, Rory would be able to fix it. That's how it always had been. Athena had taken it for granted, she'd taken her sister for granted.

After the first war, Athena had believed herself to be completely alone. Constantly she'd said that everyone had left her. She was so warped up in what she had lost that Athena hadn't realised what she still had. Aurora had been by her side through everything and now the only person who had never left her, was gone.

It was hard to wrap her head around, impossible even. Athena couldn't understand how it had happened. How they'd won against her sister, why she hadn't been there to stop it. She didn't like lingering around the question 'what if'. Her sisters death was no ones fault except the death eater who had killed her. Dolohov. He was dead now. Athena was glad. He would have been placed in Azkaban regardless but Athena was happier knowing that he wasn't still breathing.

The thing about grief was that it made happy memories sad. Athena would try and think back to the good times, to appreciate when Aurora had helped her to smile, helped her to laugh. Now when she thought of those times when they were children, so careless about the future, she would just cry. There was no way around it. These memories couldn't help her feel happy when Athena felt so broken.

She knew that she would get past this. Athena had a bright future ahead of her and Aurora wouldn't want her to waste away buried in memories of what had happened. She had a family still. She had a love, she had a child and she had people around her who she really cared about.

Athena would never forget the people she had met along the way. She would never not feel sad to hear their names in casual conversation. Their deaths would always leave a sting on her heart because they weren't here and she was.