(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟏𝟗) the never beating heart

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

SURELY THE WORLD HAD STOPPED SPINNING, surely everyone had stopped fighting. Why did the war matter anymore? Why hadn't everyone stopped? Athena didn't understand how the trees were still swaying, why the death eaters were still standing with their wands pointed at her. Why the castle hadn't fallen where it stood.

Remus was dead.

Athena's life was over but it ran deeper than that. She'd already given herself away and now... Remus wasn't going to be there to pick up the pieces. Everything was wrong now, nothing made sense. Athena wanted to scream, she was going to scream.

She couldn't wrap her head around it. She couldn't understand how this had happened. Remus couldn't be dead. He just couldn't. Athena couldn't lose him too. She couldn't stay goodbye. Athena had been so sure he'd be ok. It had made everything better, made everything bearable. Knowing Remus was alright was the only reason why Athena had made it this far in the battle in the first place.

Her last hope was gone. Athena just wanted it to be over. She couldn't do it anymore, not now that Remus wasn't waiting for her somewhere in the castle. Not now knowing that he wouldn't be there at the end.

This wasn't part of the plan. Athena had never considered what she would do if she lost Remus. She'd never even wanted to think about it.

Through the dim, she saw spells fly at her. Seven of them. All in a green and ghastly light. This was it. This was the end. She was cornered now and there was no way out. At least at the end of this she would see Remus again. She closed her eyes and waited for it to all be over. Finally she could rest. The war would have to be worried about later. She supposed it wasn't her problem anymore.

However as she felt the spells hit her, darkness didn't overtake her. Athena stood feeling worse than she had ever felt in her life but she was still alive. She was still standing.

Athena opened her eyes slowly. She was staring at the terrified eyes of the death eaters all around her. They were looking bewildered, trying to figure out what had happened.

She moved her hands up in front of her, staring at them in wonder. This wasn't supposed to be possible. Athena was shining in a ghostly green light. It spread through  all of her veins. It shone a light through her skin. She'd absorbed it. Athena stood holding seven unforgivable curses beneath her fingertips.

Athena didn't have time to question how this had happened, how she was still able to do this. How this power hadn't vanished one she'd seen the vision.

Instead she felt a waterfall of grief hit her. It fell over her like a dozen weights. Athena couldn't stand it anymore. Nothing went her way. Nothing was easy. Athena had done everything to ensure the safety of others but she couldn't even protect the one person she loved more than anything else in the world. She couldn't even save Remus.