(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟏𝟒) tea lights

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

ATHENA WOKE UP EARLY ON CHRISTMAS MORNING. She woke up way before Ben did and she knew that he would be restfully asleep for at least another two hours.

Creeping out of bed, she moved downstairs, wrapping a dressing gown around herself to protect from the cold chill. Her feet pressed against the wooden floorboards which felt almost like walking on ice as she made it to the kitchen and collected herself a box of matches from the cupboard.

She committed living the muggle life when she arrived at Ben's house. Her wand was stored at the bottom of her bag in the binding of a hardback book. He'd never find it and even if he did, Athena would be able to come up with an excuse. She was a Ravenclaw after all.

Taking a handful of tea lights out of one of the highest cupboards, she laid them out over the kitchen bench as she did every year. She had to do this at Ben's house now when she'd previously done it at Hogwarts or in her empty home. However it was tradition and it was one of those things that she couldn't shake.

Athena had collected nine tea lights. She placed them around in a circular formation as she struck a match against the box. The flame filled the corner of the darkened room with orange light as she made sure not to burn her fingertips.

Carefully, the girl leant over the tea lights and began to light each one. It took her a lot of precision and two matches as the first one had gone out after two of them.

However she got better at lighting candles each year. Standing back, she stared over the nine dancing flames which were now illuminating the room in a glowing light.

Nine lights for the nine people that she'd lost.

Nine lights to remember those who couldn't spend Christmas with her anymore.

The first light she had lit belonged to Gideon Prewett, the second to Fabian. The two twins whose matching grins had always brightened up a bad day or improved a terrible mood. They'd made many boring events exciting, made her laugh more times than she could remember.

The next light was for Archer. The brother that she had lost all those years ago. Archer's story had been painful and difficult and had come to a bitter end. Athena thought about this end a lot, through the image of him falling before her, for her.

The next candle belonged to Marlene Mckinnon. Marlene had been one of Athena's best friends. She'd been a lively and bubbly girl with a love for quidditch and proving that she was better than everyone else. Marlene was not the kind of person that you forgot, her laugh was like a song constantly stuck in Athena's head.

The fifth candle was for Dorcas Meadows, another one of her closest friends. Dorcas had been the first to welcome her into the Gryffindor group, something that at the time had made her very happy. Dorcas was a walking magazine, always dressed better than anyone else, always looking like the star of the show, mainly because she was.