(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟏) forever and always

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

July 1970

"Remus?" Athena asked as she lay on her back on the grass staring at the blue sky above her. The world almost felt impossibly amazing but through the eyes of a child imperfections were common blemishes added to make everything a bit more unique. After all, what's the fun in everything being normal?

Remus looked across to her. The long grass had been squashed by their trampling footsteps. Some could still hear their careless laughter echoing against the larger trees that they had just climbed.

"What is it Rena?" Remus asked happily. Always excited to hear what she was going to say. Sometimes Remus would let Athena talk for hours about nothing at all. He felt there was a certain wisdom behind even her less thought out statements.

"You know one day when we're older" Athena pondered, "I think we should get married"

"Don't be silly" Remus laughed suddenly, "marriage is something grownups do when they're in love"

"But we're in love, I love you" Athena pointed out with a small frown.

"But we love each other as friends" Remus continued, "it's different, this love is fun. Real love is boring"

"Why do you say that?"

"Because our parents are boring and we're not... and I don't know anyone else who's in love I suppose" Remus sighed as he sat up, staring down at the lake down the long hill where they sat.

Athena thought about it a moment longer before she agreed. Remus was usually right about these things after all.

"Well how about this" Athena stood up importantly and brushed the grass off her dress, "when we're older, we won't fall in love because we're not boring so why don't we have a marriage of friendship"

"I'm not sure that exists" Remus shrugged, "I've never heard of people getting married for friendship"

"Well we'll be the first" Athena declared, raising her arms in the air and spinning around wildly.

"What if we're not still friends when we're older?" Remus asked sadly.

"Don't be ridiculous" Athena gasped as she fell down onto the grass beside him with a laugh, "I solemnly swear that we're going to be friends forever!"

"Solemnly swear?" Remus asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Yeah" Athena grinned, "what's wrong with that?"