( 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐧𝐝 )

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

ATHENA KEPT THE BASEBALL BAT. She stayed with Kennedy until the ministry got there to move her body. Athena couldn't stop crying. The letter was clutched tight in her hand. Never would she let anyone else read it. This was her letter, hers. No one else's. She couldn't help but think of all the words she'd never be able to say. All the places they wouldn't be able to walk. All the events that Kennedy wouldn't see. All the days she would have to get through without her.

That's when she knew what she had to do.

Athena had the baseball bat clutched tight in her hand when she opened the front door of her old home and stepped inside. Remus was walking slowly back and forth in the kitchen with Hope in his arms, trying to get her to settle down.

He looked up as Athena walked into the room. He saw the red blotches around her eyes, his gaze trailed down to see the baseball bat held in her hands. He knew.

"I'm so sorry" Remus said immediately.

Athena broke into tears again as Remus laid Hope to rest in her cot. She fell into his arms, face buried in his chest as she cried. Athena hadn't even realised how painful crying was until she'd started doing it everyday. Her eyes burnt from tears and her lungs ached more than she knew to be possible. The sobs rose in her chest and left with a shudder as she shook with every minute that went by.

"She... died in her sleep" Athena cried.

Her sobbing had startled her daughter who started to cry now. Athena sniffed, moving away from Remus and scooping Hope up in her arms. Looking down at her dark eyes filled with glassy tears.

"It's alright Hope" Athena whispered through clouded eyes.

Remus placed his hand on her shoulder, out of words to say. Nothing would make this right, nothing would change what had happened. Nothing would make Athena feel better. Well, almost nothing.

"There's something we have to do" Athena said as she turned to look at Remus, "there's somewhere we need to go"

"I'll go anywhere with you" Remus murmured as he put his arm around her, "where do you need to go?"

"The forbidden forest" Athena replied simply. She'd made up her mind now. She didn't care for temptation or addiction. She knew this wouldn't become a problem because she knew there were only limited words to say anyway. There was no point holding onto a projection of something real and forgetting what was actually beside her.

Athena knew this stone wasn't a curse but a chance. A chance to say what she needed to. A chance to move on.

"Why on earth would we need to go there?" Remus frowned in confusion.

"I'll show you when we get there... we'll bring Hope. I think it'll be better that way"

"Rena" he sighed in exasperation as he grabbed hold of her arm again, "you aren't about to do anything crazy are you?"