(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟏) escape from azkaban

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

ATHENA HAD BEEN A MESS THAT SUMMER. It was a shame that she'd expected the holidays this year to be good. Now her expectations had dropped to the ground.

Previously, she'd spent all of her time at Ben's house. Just thinking about him made tears prick in her eyes.

She didn't like being in her actual house. The house held memories that she didn't like. Athena spent most of the time lying in her bed with her eyes forced shut however she very rarely slept.

The voices in her mind continued to get louder and louder as the days went by. The anxieties that were now plaguing her existence.

Why not me?

Why wasn't I good enough?

He didn't really love me in the end.

There was no way to describe how Athena was feeling except the emotion of being alone. Something she had grown used to. She'd hoped that finding Ben would have put a stop to it. Unfortunately she had been mistaken. Here she was again in her cyclical structure experiencing things she believed to be long forgotten.

Athena saw him in her thoughts. Ben's smile, his voice, his laugh. She never appreciated him as much as she should have. Athena wished that she'd realised how much she'd loved him before he decided she wasn't good enough.

Seeing him next to the blonde in the bed that they shared had caused her fury beyond measure. Now that this had worn off, Athena just felt empty and heartbroken.

Carol had made his dreams come true

Athena was right to believe that she could have never competed, at least in her mind she was. Carol was always there filling the spaces that Athena had left him with.

His excuses were meaningless to her. All she knew was that he hadn't been thinking of her when he'd gotten into bed with Carol. She wondered whether he'd thought of Carol last summer when he was with Rena.

Athena wasn't going to lie and say she didn't love Ben. That wouldn't have made anything easier. Her heart hurt when she thought about him. Maybe he was happier now. She wondered if he was with her now, holding hands and thinking that everything had worked out for them.

A long time ago, Athena had given up on the idea of love. She had thrown it away under the pretence that it wasn't for her. She'd yelled that she'd never be able to love again.

Ben had proven this to be wrong. He'd provided light in her very dark world, a small piece of hope that had grown into a wonderful romance.

Now he'd snatched it away again and Athena was left feeling worse than she had done in the first place.

Seven years. Gone. Just like that.

Athena found it hard to believe that things could end so easily. She found it difficult to understand that in the end he hadn't cared about the countless memories they'd shared.