(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟏𝟓) the final truth

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

ATHENA WAS WORKING WHEN THERE was a knock at her office door.

"Come in!" She called out.

It was Harry who pushed the door open into the office. He and Ron had been released from the hospital wing the day after the quidditch incident. He looked tired but mainly apologetic. Athena was still stressed about the Draco Malfoy situation, scared that Harry was getting too close to figuring out the truth.

"Hi Harry" Athena sighed as she placed down her quill, "how are you feeling?"

"Good" Harry nodded, "Madame Pomfrey managed to heal my skull perfectly fine and McLaggen is staying well out of my way now which is a plus"

"Yeah" Athena smiled, "well that's good to hear Harry. A lot of people got a fright yesterday when you fell off your broom. Me included"

"Won't happen again" Harry laughed, "well I can't promise that but if I do it'll be nothing to do with McLaggen. He's officially off the team"

"Good" Athena muttered, "he definitely sees himself as leadership material. It's bad news"

"You're probably right" said Harry, "and um... I wanted to apologise to you"

"Did you?" Athena raised her eyebrows in surprise.

"Yeah I um... the whole deal with Malloy. I've been difficult to deal with and the way I've talked to you... I know you're my teacher and I do really respect you. I'm sorry I treated you otherwise"

"Thank you Harry" Athena smiled, a small portion of her stress dissolved, "that means a lot"

"I do look up to you" Harry continued, "and since Sirius... you know, I don't want to push away anyone else. Not people who have tirelessly looked out for me. I'm really grateful Rena, I'm sorry if I came off any other way"

Athena couldn't find the words to say to this. She smiled simply. She'd always wanted Harry to feel safe around her, to look out for her. Since Sirius passed she was his primary guardian once more. The person who should have full authority over him, the one that should protect him. Soon he would be seventeen and her position wouldn't matter as much. She was glad to hear that she still mattered to him.

"Thank you" Athena murmured, "all I ever wanted was for you to have a good life... a normal life... I know it seems now that normality is impossible but I promise war isn't eternal, it just feels like it is"

"Do you ever feel that your life is completely entwined with war?" Harry asked suddenly.

Athena felt taken aback. Of course she knew what that felt like. More than anyone.

"Yes Harry I do" Athena nodded, "when I learnt of the prophecy that connected me to the war... nothing felt the same. I often feel that my only purpose in this life is war. After all, fate is keeping me alive until the war... it often feels that's all I was made for"