(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟏𝟏) the duelling club

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

WHEN LOCKHART HAD ASKED Athena to help him prepare a duelling class for students, Athena had been completely against it. She would rather not work with him at all.

However, she found herself bored on the Saturday of the class and therefore unfortunately agreed to it. Many students had been talking about, laughing around and discussing how they wanted to attend.

Athena didn't want to miss an opportunity where Lockhart made a fool out of himself so she decided that going would be a good idea. However her opinion was changed when she walked into the hall and saw Snape standing by the large table that had been set up.

"What are you doing here?" Athena asked with a frown as she walked over.

"Lockhart asked me to duel him" Snape replied simply, "wasn't exactly going to turn him down, was I?"

Athena shrugged to herself,

"He asked me to help out too"

"I can see that" he sneered and Athena glared at him slightly. The students were accumulating around the table now

"Gather round, gather round! Can everyone see me? Can you all hear me? Excellent!" Lockhart called to the group.

"Now, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little dueling club, to train you all in case you ever need to defend yourselves as I myself have done on countless occasions – for full details, see my published works"

"Let me introduce my assistants, Professor Snape and Professor Sinistra," said Lockhart, lashing a wide smile. "They tell me they know a tiny little bit about dueling themselves and they sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration before we begin. Now, I don't want any of you youngsters to worry – you'll still have you Potions master and astronomy professor when they're through with each other, never fear!"

Athena gave Snape a look of exasperation and saw that he was giving Lockhart a completely loathsome glare.

"I think we're duelling each other" Athena muttered under her breath.

"Well my day has been positively ruined" Snape scowled.

Snape's upper lip was curling. The two teachers made their way up onto the long table and Athena spotted Harry, Ron, Hermione and Neville grinning at her. She smiled back and sent a silent wish that she'd be able to beat Snape.

Athena and Snape turned to face each other and bowed; at least, Athena did with poise and politeness whereas Snape jerked his head irritably. Then they raised their wands like swords in front of them.

"As you see, they are holding our wands in the accepted combative position," Lockhart told the silent crowd. "On the count of three, they will cast their first spells. Neither of them will be aiming to kill, of course."