(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟏𝟕) false reflections

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

ATHENA STARED AT HER REFLECTION in the mirror, at her smile that had been created by this warped version of herself. This cheating mirror that could showcase lies and get away with it. This shape of gold and glass that had Athena in tears.

She was sitting before it for the fifth night in a row. Now her eyes were accustomed to seeing the smiles of her friends. She could hear them in her mind, the laughter of Marlene, the jokes of James, the flirtatious words of Sirius and the insults of Kennedy.

Above all, louder than the rest Athena could hear Remus. She could hear his promises. Now she understood his lies as she stared at his hand which had taken her own like it had done so many times. She hated to admit how much she missed him, how much she wanted him back even after everything that the two of them had been through.

Athena should hate him, she deserved to hate him because he'd left her after he'd promised that he'd come back. Remus had never intended to keep that promise, his letter had already been written and lying on her kitchen table. The letter that sealed the fate of the relationship that they'd shared.

It wasn't fair on the life that Athena had built. It wasn't fair on Ben. That Athena was sitting here staring at her ex boyfriend with tears in her eyes as she wished beyond anything that he was actually beside her.

Remus had been fooling her forever, she'd fallen for him long before she understood love. Athena would always love him, she would always care for him and nothing would change that. She hated herself for it, she hated that when she stared to the moon she heard his whisper in her ears.

Athena hated the dreams that she'd have of him, the vivid images of times that they'd shared. It made her feel angry and sad but above all of made her feel comforted which in her mind was sick and twisted.

Athena had every right to hate him and she did. She could scream his name like poison but not feel better. She could throw a thousand darts at him but not feel any different. She could wrap her hands round his neck and watch the life leave his eyes but then she'd be killing herself too.

She stared at him in the mirror and felt herself. Athena and Remus were connected and she hated it. She hated that she could see him, hear him, feel him wherever she want. He was a constant mark on her skin and he would never leave no matter what she did, it wasn't fair, it wasn't right.

There he was. Smiling at her through this sheet of glass as though everything was fine. Like they were back in 1979. Athena wanted to be back in 1979. Everything had felt better then. Even if things had been getting worse, he was beside her close as they ever had been. They'd been together.

She stared at her other friends too. Athena looked to Sirius, the youthful complexion and the smile that did not match someone sitting in a cell in Azkaban. When she looked at Sirius, the only thing that she would feel is guilt, nothing else. She couldn't save him but he knew that Athena was aware of the truth. Yet there he was, surrounded by dementors probably going crazy.